social security # verification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

social security # verification

Client who is a farmer calls social security 1-800-772-6270 to verify social of a new employee. Client supplies the #, name, DOB, and gender to social security to verify
    the number. The social security office tells client that the employee needs to
    contact a social security office, but does not tell client if the # is correct or not. Is this
    normal procedure and does this mean the social security provided by employee does
    not match social security records? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, DixieEA

Dixie

It means that their is a mismatch with information furnished. Could be a number of differenrt reasons. If you preform e-verify services for employers please take the time to read each question asked. It will explain what needs to be done to correct problem. Keep in mind that their is a learning curve involved. I have verified about 30 individuals and had a problem with only one, because I was not reading the instructions. Once I followed proper instructions that individual made a prefect match. Hope this helps you.

Comment

e-verify services?

Kong, Is this service performed through the social security website or IRS website? I am
      not registered to use e-verify services at this time, is it necessary to register at both IRS
      and social security websites to verify social security and TIN numbers?

Thanks, DixieEA

Comment

Requirements

Any laws or regulations on the books and on the table which require use of this
        hotline need to specify that an affirmative match is required. That way the agency
        can't weasel out of giving an answer. The answer should be either "yes" or
        the default answer is "no."

Comment

Must register with SSA

Yes, you must register with the social security administration at the BSO site. you get there by going to www.ssa.gov/bso. There you can register to verify social security numbers. You can register as your company and verify for your clients. The process takes a little time because they mail an activation code to you after you register.
          I have used it for a client I do payroll for quite a bit. If the information is not correct, it will tell you that it doesn't match and the reason why...name and ss# don't match, ss# not in system, etc.
          Then you go back and make sure information is correct and make corrections. It will not give you the right information.

Hope this helps.

Linda

Comment

1099 TIN numbers also?

Linda, thank you for your response, I have been to the BSO site and have registered and
            awaiting for activation code. My question now is can I verify TIN numbers for 1099 forms
            at this site, or do I need to register on IRS site to verify numbers?

Thanks, DixieEA

Comment

Working...
            X