Full system backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full system backup

I was wondering if and what you do for a full system backup. Data backup is a piece of cake but being able to restore your full system to a new harddrive in case of a harddrive crash is quite a different story.

I use Acronis but encounter problems with the functionality of my system including computer crashes. I don't like Norton because it uses so many resources, lots of people advise against it, and it also can cause system problems. What is your experience? What do you use?

It seems to me that the more security and backup programs we have the more problems we have with our computers as well with imcompatibility issues.

Originally posted by Gabriele View Post
    I was wondering if and what you do for a full system backup. Data backup is a piece of cake but being able to restore your full system to a new harddrive in case of a harddrive crash is quite a different story.

I use Acronis but encounter problems with the functionality of my system including computer crashes. I don't like Norton because it uses so many resources, lots of people advise against it, and it also can cause system problems. What is your experience? What do you use?

It seems to me that the more security and backup programs we have the more problems we have with our computers as well with imcompatibility issues.
    I have a "Mirrored" hard drive, meaning I have two hard drives where anything that goes on my operating drive (c) also goes on my second drive automatically. If C drive goes bad, I just have to rename my backup "mirrored" drive as C:"/ and continue as usual. I would be back up running in 10 minutes max.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I have a Maxtor external back up drive, which is big enough to hold the contents of my hard drive three times over. It keeps up to 5 historical backups and I can restore any or all of my data. I just bought a smaller portable one to backup and keep offsite as well.

Comment

How

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        I have a "Mirrored" hard drive, meaning I have two hard drives where anything that goes on my operating drive (c) also goes on my second drive automatically. If C drive goes bad, I just have to rename my backup "mirrored" drive as C:"/ and continue as usual. I would be back up running in 10 minutes max.
        Bob how is this done if you don't mind me asking. Thanks

Comment

I use Maxtor also. Just push the button and it goes to work.

Comment

I have a mirrored harddrive as well plus my external harddrive since I wanted a full backup outside my computer.

Do I understand correctly that the Maxtor is an external drive with build in program to back up all of your C:\drive? Do you know how well the restore process works? Any experience yourself or the people who recommended it to you?

Comment

Originally posted by clr View Post
              Bob how is this done if you don't mind me asking. Thanks
              All I know is that it is controlled by the motherboard. Most Techs would know more.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Antivirus/Firewall/Spamkiller

I now use ZoneAlarm as my internet security and love it. I used to use McAfee but a lot of stuff got through. Norton has been known not to "play well" with QuickBooks. Two computer techie friends recommended Zone Alarm. I had to order it off Amazon.com, but it's reasonable priced and does a great job catching spam.

Comment

The Maxtor software backs up the whole C drive. You can set it up to back up at specific times or just hit the button and it will back up the whole thing. I haven't yet done a restore, but I have gone into my computer and opened up the 'E' drive where the maxtor is and checked the data there.

Comment

What I like about the mirrored drives is that it is backed up with every entry. So nothing get lost when things go bad.

In addition to the Mirrored Drives I have a nightly "off site" backup done by Backup Solutions through the Internet.

(To be online 24/7 you must have a good fire wall appliance that is encrypted.)
                    Last edited by BOB W; 01-02-2008, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Please clarify. I did not understand the Maxtor to back up anything other than the basic data files. I do not understand it to back up your operating system or your programs. Have I missed the boat here?

Mike

Comment

It might come with a program like BounceBack. Like I said in a previous thread I noticed that BB was not backing up all the files. It was suppose to backup only files that had changed but it wasn't even doing that. I am going to give it a try again. That is what I have been doing since last Thursday. I bought a new 300gig hard drive and installed in my computer. I have a rack mounted hard drive in my computer so I was able to backup the info on the old drive and then transfer to the new drive. It still took ALOT of time. I had to reinstall programs and get my network back up and running.

I hope I can figure out how to get BounceBack to work. Maybe it is me and not the program. Your suppose to be able just to take the drive and replace if your current one goes bad. I make sure to have three backups. The mirror and then just the regular files.

Comment

When I last checked I believe my programs were there. I was looking specifically in ATX because I had just rolled over my return, did a backup and wanted to make sure it was there; that the Maxtor was backing up as it said it was. I saw the ATX exe files along with the backup files. Maybe it depends on which one you get? Mine is a OneTouch III, and it does say on the package you can back up the whole hard drive, selected files or use it as an additional hard drive.

Comment

Backup System

Now don't laugh yourselfs to death. Think about it for a second

I have an inexpensive second computer sitting right next to my main one. Only takes 5 minutes switch plugs

Loaded on my original WinXP Pro and registered with no problem.

Installed tax program and updates and a few other necessary programs.

Back up important stuff daily on a 2Gig flash drive. If I crash, I plug in the spare computer, restore from the flash drive, and away we go.

I have not needed this spare as yet>>>>>>knock on wood.

Just for fun I'll plug it in once in awhile,,,,check the flash drive restore system...no problems yet.
                            Last edited by RLymanC; 01-03-2008, 03:15 AM.
                            Confucius say:
                            He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Same here

RL,
                              I have no reason to laugh. I do basically the same thing. It only takes a few minutes and if the machine goes down, I can just switch machines and go on while getting the problem worked out. Of course, I will lose what I did that day, but that is not much compared to what could be lost.

LT
                              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
                              X