Jackson-Hewitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackson-Hewitt

Two JH managers have surfaced on the board.

It sounds like the Florida office of ecb34691 has a good colony in place for Jackson-Hewitt.
    I'm surprised that they have retained a manager of his caliber, and that he has several EAs working for him.

I haven't worked for JH but my observation of them is, unfortunately, closer to that of TaxManDan. Most offices around here are as he describes. Minimum wage personnel, little expertise, overwhelming emphasis on EIC and especially RALs, and reduction of tax preparation skill to simply entering data into their software package. The calculation of EIC and RAL is a product of the software only, and not the JH employee. Of course, the calculation of EIC is software for most of us, but at least I calculate it manually for a cross-check, and also employ a modicum of questions to make sure the taxpayer qualifies.

Most of the JH offices in my area are leap-years behind H&R Block. Block also gravitates to the easy profit crowd, but has deep quality control procedures in place, and by comparison, infinitely more resources. I have not been able to attract many younger customers because I don't offer RALs, and these younger folks are flocking to JH and HRB, so in spite of my criticism, they have become worthy competition. Fact of the matter, I don't believe either organization is challenged by their ownership to pursue tougher returns, businesses, investors, etc. who are not a market for EIC and RALs.

Yes, I realize the above statements are not the kind that wins friends and influences people, but this was simply a statement for what it was, and not meant to demean anyone.

Very proud to have "met" both TaxManDan and ecb34691 on the board. ecb34691, if your office can represent a model for JH, then maybe the future of Jackson-Hewitt is in good hands.

Regards, Ron J.

JH offices

Jackson Hewitt has a very good business model for a certain segment of the market. It works well in certain places and not so in others. It seems to be best suited for the east coast & California.

There are substantial differences in attitudes and buying practices in the many regions of this great country. What works in advertising in Maryland won't get you zip in Idaho. True story: years ago I lived in New Mexico where the population is 35% Latino, 33% native Indian, and the rest are Anglos. Taco Bell came out with TV ads showing Latinos in large sombreros dancing around to Mexican style music. It played real well in the midwest but insulted the people of NM so bad that TB almost went out of business due to the boycott. The large companies on the east coast too often don't understand these regional differences.

There are JH offices that are real tax offices and not just RAL depots for the EITC customer, but JH has always targeted the RAL customer for the quick bucks.

JH & HRB are not my competition, their market is not mine. I prefer the tax client with complex returns and doing representation work as an EA. I want high value clients that used to go to a CPA. I do have some EITC clients in January, I discourage the RALs and only do one or two each year. Choose the clientele you are most comfortable with and that is in your area and you'll do fine.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Great job guys, this is why I read this stuff. Can't wait for this new tax season. Good Luck. G

Comment

Working...
      X