ATX - is the end near?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX - is the end near?

ATX - without warning, laid off its entire Caribou support and sales team. ALL gone. They moved the operation to GA (UTS). This was 80 people just prior to the season. OVER half of the Caribou ME office.

This means if you are used to a specific person there for support or sales, they are no longer with them.

I have my doubts on there being a "next year" or if ATX will make it through the season.

exATXer.

It was inevitable

When CCH purchased ATX from Kleinrock in August 2006, this observer predicted the Maine workforce would be largely or entirely eliminated within two years. I'm sure this is a very painful event for those people in Caribou, Maine who are affected, and especially for the person instrumental in building the outstanding sales/support department there.

I'll make another prediction: That ATX's customers will be negatively affected by this change, at least for the TY2007 filing season. If this had to be done, it would have been better to do it six months ago or six months from now ... not three days before tax season begins.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

It's like dropping their message board

They couldn't wait until Apr 15 to discontinue their message board without notice.
      They lost a lot of customers, including me, by that move which I perceived as just the first shoe dropping. The company has changed ownership twice, and each time seems to have been a step back. I remember how the outsourced technical support to India and tried to come up with some meaningless "Certified Tax Expert" credential that turned every EA and CPA off along with a lot of unlicensed preparers who realized the credential was meaningless to the IRS or any State agency.

Comment

Wait A Minute Here

I distinctly remember the new management saying they were committed to a smooth transition and maintaining the high quality of the ATX brand. Surely you aren't suggesting those fine people would welch on their promise - I'm shocked !
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Taasc

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
          I distinctly remember the new management saying they were committed to a smooth transition and maintaining the high quality of the ATX brand. Surely you aren't suggesting those fine people would welch on their promise - I'm shocked !
          I remember several years ago when TAASC sold us out LOCK, STOCK , & BARREL.

Comment

Corporate America

Much of Corporate Americar are companies who fail to include in thier mission statement, thier true mission...that is....the top crop of the company end up with as many millions of dollars personally as they can. Thus we have these type deals selling companies without the concern for the customers that there should be. When these mergers and buyouts happen, millions go out personally to the top brass (stock options, etc) and the customers suffer. We have here just another example of this sad sign of the times.

Comment

For a long time now consolidation is what is happening in this tax industry, whether it be programs or practices. Low end programs and/or small practices will be a thing of the past> shortly.

As the cost of doing business for new practicioners will be too high for "startups" the way we know it now. Most of us started on a maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but what do I have to loose> maybe my time. Going forward it will be money, and for a service business that is unusual.

Anyone that is using a low-end($) vendor is at risk, if not today than tomorrow.

What is the answer?> Fees> Fees> and Fees. You must be ready for the day when your vendor sells out and be ready to pay $3,000+ just for a basic 1040 program. Start raising fees now so that you don't end up doubling your fees over a shorter period of time. Clients will RUN away from you if your increases are too big over a short time period.

Last edited by BOB W; 12-30-2007, 03:55 PM.
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

ATX - victim of corporatespeak

I am a former ATX user as well. I bailed out after their miserable e-filing problems in 2003, and failure to focus on a real solution. The sale to CCH solved the problems of their existing management by allowing them to cash in their chips, and the recent layoff of the Caribou crew is most regrettable. I was a faithful customer during the late '90s while their extensive offerings and excellent customer service was gaining them customers. They had over 52,000 customers, #1 in the industry.

I have chosen a low-end price software because I feel they are least likely to sell out. TaxSlayer was developed for use in their GA-SC chain of some 40 tax preparation outlets. They didn't want to be dependent on the jerking around by other software companies and so they developed their own. They have accurate 1040 preparation, and the very best support (confirmed by NATP survey). They do not support all forms entities, especially in all states, but that's why their price is low.

During the last seminar I attended, the instructor asked us to look around the room and see how many people were in the room under 35 years old. It was frightening. Over 100 participants and 3 people raised their hands. I would say the average participant was maybe 55. The future is simply not that attractive. Every year, more and more cir. 230 requirements, more and more knowledge, more penalties, more protocol. The public is not paying for this increased expertise, exposure, overhead and risk.

If indeed we are older, we should be wiser. Public-released statements from large corporations should go in one ear and out the other. We should have enough experience with corporatespeak to recognize the substance from the rhetoric. This is especially true when these companies talk about their committments to employees and customers. Learn to look at economic writing on the wall - it will ALWAYS win out.

Comment

Present day ATXer

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
                  I remember several years ago when TAASC sold us out LOCK, STOCK , & BARREL.
                  Yeah, I was there for it too. TAASC was a great software and I truly hated to see it go. Those ordeals are the near-equivalent of a "death in the family," but that one was handled well. Intuit gave a seminar in Memphis to deal with it; offering locked-in low prices (2-3 years) on Lacerte/Pro-Series, and sent good, knowledgeable former TAASC reps who went over the stuff in detail. I was impressed with their thoroughness and professionalism.

Still, these things are never pleasant and the rep candidly warned us not to put too much stock in any company's "mission statement" (Golden Rocket termed it "corporatespeak"). He stated "We said we weren't going to sell out like other companies, but we did." Asked why, he said the former CEO (a personal friend of his) was approached in the best Godfather tradition -- they "made him an offer he couldn't refuse." We took that to mean, as John of PA pointed out in his "top brass" post, that he received millions of dollars personally.

As we age (note to GR: interesting, that age 55 note; I suspected, but didn't know), we dislike change more and more, but given human nature -- well, let's see now; would I sell this sweatshop for a million bucks? Let me think...

I've already renewed with ATX and I'm going to tough it out whatever it takes; this time. I figure (knock on wood) it can't get much worse. With notable exceptions, the tech reps I've encounted had the technical expertise, if not the IQ, of a turnip. As for that (mercifully cancelled) Indian support episode of the past, puhleaase never mention that again in polite company.

Anyway, after being sold out, kicked out, priced out, whatever by many vendors (1040 Solutions, Pencil Pushers, TAASCO, Taxwise, something-Partners, Lacerte, etc. etc.), I herewith vow, swear, and declare as my (annually failed) New Year's resolution that if it doesn't work out this time, then by cracky I'm throwin' in the towel, bitin' the bullet, and goin' back to Lacerte with my hat in one hand and three thousand dollars in the other.

I'm giving my analyst one more year, then I'm going to Lourdes -- NY playwright

Comment

TAASC -> Intuit

I chose not to go with Intuit and my domain name was held hostage.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                      Yeah, I was there for it too. TAASC was a great software and I truly hated to see it go.
                      Oh memories. TAASC was the best tax software I've used. Lacerte is very good also, but too costly for a low-volume practice.

Comment

Golden Rocket

That is exactly why I am a user of TaxSlayer Pro. By the way where are you located? Just curious.

Comment

Chief

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                          That is exactly why I am a user of TaxSlayer Pro. By the way where are you located? Just curious.
                          What's the cost for the basic TaxSlayer Pro package? Thanks.

Comment

Bart

Bart, I pay $750 annually. The first year is higher, but you can get the renewal price if you find someone to sponsor you. You know me, so I'll be happy to do so.

It doesn't do everything for all states and all entities like ATX did. But support is unparalleled.

Comment

ATX vs Taxwise

Originally posted by ex-ATXer View Post
                              http://www.wagmtv.com/news/story.php?id=2958

ATX - without warning, laid off its entire Caribou support and sales team. ALL gone. They moved the operation to GA (UTS). This was 80 people just prior to the season. OVER half of the Caribou ME office.

This means if you are used to a specific person there for support or sales, they are no longer with them.

I have my doubts on there being a "next year" or if ATX will make it through the season.

exATXer.
                              Before even reading the responses, I reiterate what I predicted maybe nine months ago.
                              (nine months? really? gestation period?)

and that was ATX was going down.
                              ChEAr$,
                              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                              X