Signing the return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing the return

I have a special request from a client this morning. She said her son will be out of town soon. She wanted her son to sign a blank Form 1040 and left it with her. Then after I can complete the tax return of her son later, she will copy the figures to the signed Form 1040. And then she will bring it to me and have me to sign it. Of course I will only sign it after I have verified that what she copied onto the blank Form 1040 is exactly the same as what's on the tax return that I prepare for her son.

Any problem with it?

Ethics rule about taxpayer copy before signature

The IRS would have a problem with that procedure, because the taxpayer son must be presented with a copy of the completed return no later than the return is presented to him for his signature.

Comment

Possiblw solution

Originally posted by NotEasy View Post
      I have a special request from a client this morning. She said her son will be out of town soon. She wanted her son to sign a blank Form 1040 and left it with her. Then after I can complete the tax return of her son later, she will copy the figures to the signed Form 1040. And then she will bring it to me and have me to sign it. Of course I will only sign it after I have verified that what she copied onto the blank Form 1040 is exactly the same as what's on the tax return that I prepare for her son.

Any problem with it?
      Previous poster pointed out the problem. A possible solution would be to fax the completed return to the son.. If efiling all he would need to fax back is the signed 8879 (state form if needed). /i do this regularly for clients away at school.

Comment

Lamil's is the solution I have used but

I wonder if it would be legal for the student to sign a POA giving his mother permission to sign his return for him and then for her to do so. If this is possible would the standard IRS POA form that any professional would be able to print serve this purpose?

Comment

See page 3-11

in the TTB.

Comment

Working...
          X