Christmas Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Morning

Here it is with bright sunlight in the South, and the wimmenfolk in the kitchen fixing a festive Christmas dinner. In a few minutes, Callie will ask me to take out a huge bag of Christmas trash, and more company will come to pig-out for the rest of the day.

In the meantime, I'll read a few posts, and wonder about TTB. I'm one of those who haven't yet received mine, so I expect to receive it in the next day or two. This year there is a bit more anticipation, as I have heard very strong reviews. I also ordered the Small Business book separately and already there are topics I am anxious to read, as I will encounter certain situations in my practice this year.

I remember having to research these topics in the days before first ordering Brad's handy reference book in 1993. There were IRS instructions available in the Package X - and these were just preparation roadmaps - no strategy or addressing deductibility perspectives. There were also CCH, RIA, and PH libraries, if you had large sums of money, and time to update all the slipsheets. And if you were REALLY desperate, there was always the Code and Regs. Reading the Regs was, and continues to be, miserable. Many of them survive from the 1950s. And that doesn't count the Revenue Rulings and Temporary Regs. Court Cases? Impossible without a research monitor.

We now have The Tax Book. The Deluxe version is the best value of any reference book in the tax business, and the WebCD now automates this. The WebCD also includes research tools too extensive for a single printed book. And for those tedious and unique situations which cannot be addressed in any book? We now have the message board, where some of the sharpest tax people in the country share their ideas and opinions.

Christmastime brings back many visions of yesteryear, and most of us use the Season to wistfully remember when our lives were simpler. Not so for tax research -- yesteryear was clearly NOT the simple days.

Sincere wishes to all for Christmas and a Happy New Tax Filing Season to all!

Hi there, GR

You said it all pretty well, so I'll forego the posting of a lengthy opus and just say I agree with everything you said; that is: (1) dinner's cookin' (2) The Tax Book (and board) has been a tremendous help (3) Merry Christmas & a good tax season for us all.

Comment

White Christmas

Snowing here today,

Merry Christmas!
      Last edited by veritas; 12-25-2007, 04:12 PM.

Comment

White Christmas

Originally posted by veritas View Post
        Snowing here today,

Merry Christmas!
        You lucky dog! That's the kind of Christmas I've been wishing for the last several years and we can't seem to get it. A strictly ordinary cold winter day is what we have here -- no snow on the ground and none in sight/forecast.

Wonder how many of the other board posters here are having a white Christmas today?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
          Wonder how many of the other board posters here are having a white Christmas today?
          Its snowing in Minnesota.

Comment

We had a beautiful sun shining day here in central Mississippi. I would love to see snow, but as my family were all traveling to get here and back home, I didn't miss snow..

Comment

no snow

No snow in Pennsylvania unless we head for the Pocono Mountains Oh Well..... Merry Christmas to everyone and wishing you for the New Year MANY HAPPY RETURNS.

Comment

Starlight, PA

Left Christmas Day to visit my son in Starlight, PA. Actually, he lives with his girlfriend in Lakewood. They work at The Inn at Starlight Lake; she's the executive chef. We had a great Christmas buffet and fabulous food. Elk Mountain makes snow for down hill skiing. The Inn has cross country trails and snow mobiling and snow shoeing and a frozen lake. Fat snow flakes yesterday. Today, it's back to reality.

Comment

Working...
                X