Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contributions carryover expiration

Hello,

I have given a good amount of charity from 1998-2002. Unfortunately, I am going through a 2004-2006, IRS audit for this reason. The auditor is saying that the charity which was given and carried over has expired in 2005 due to the 5-year limitation on contributions carryover. Yet, my accountant (old one) apparantly didnt do this.

Is there such a thing as a 5-year carryover? (i know very ignorant question, I am sorry).

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Originally posted by ibmman View Post
    Hello,

I have given a good amount of charity from 1998-2002. Unfortunately, I am going through a 2004-2006, IRS audit for this reason. The auditor is saying that the charity which was given and carried over has expired in 2005 due to the 5-year limitation on contributions carryover. Yet, my accountant (old one) apparantly didnt do this.

Is there such a thing as a 5-year carryover? (i know very ignorant question, I am sorry).

Any suggestions on what I should do?
    Carryovers

You can carry over your contributions that you are not able to deduct in the current year because they exceed your adjusted-gross-income limits. You can deduct the excess in each of the next 5 years until it is used up, but not beyond that time. Your total contributions deduction for the year to which you carry your contributions cannot exceed 50% of your adjusted gross income for that year.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

What do you do

for a living ibmman?

Comment

Certain types of contributions are also limited to 30% of your AGI.

Comment

charity carryover

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          Carryovers

You can carry over your contributions that you are not able to deduct in the current year because they exceed your adjusted-gross-income limits. You can deduct the excess in each of the next 5 years until it is used up, but not beyond that time. Your total contributions deduction for the year to which you carry your contributions cannot exceed 50% of your adjusted gross income for that year.
          I see. So basically, the charity I gave in 2001, if I do not use it up by 2006, then in 2007 it is non-existent.

Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

for a living

Originally posted by veritas View Post
            for a living ibmman?
            i am a software developer... (naturally from my name )

Comment

Fifo

When there are charitable contribution carryovers, they are used up in the order paid ... i.e. first-in, first-out. It's a good idea to keep a running worksheet of these.
              Roland Slugg
              "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by Roland Slugg View Post
                When there are charitable contribution carryovers, they are used up in the order paid ... i.e. first-in, first-out.
                But only after using current year contributions.

Comment

Working...
                X