taxpayer wants copy of return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

taxpayer wants copy of return

Taxpayers divorcing, spouse calls and asks for copy of tax return. We suggested getting it from taxpayer(copies were provided at time returns were done. ) Would you prepare copies and charge for them?

As long as original return was filed MFJ, I would make the copies and would not charge - but that is just me. If taxpayer has a history of losing their returns and asking for multiple copies each year, I might consider a small charge for the copies.

Comment

My way of handling this

First I would absolutely provide the copy.
      If I did not feel taken advantage of I would provide it at no cost.
      If I were to feel abused by this process, then I would provide a PDF for free or charge them to mail a copy to them unless it was a 5 page return then I would even mail it for free.

Comment

I always give the copy

I agree with giving them the copy.

I believe providing copies of lost or misplaced returns is just a part of the service the client pays for. Enough is built into my general charges to cover the cost of providing this info for the occasional requester. Even the abusers of the service get it at no additional direct charge, because if they chronically request copies they are return clients, and this means it's easy enough to tack on a PITA charge in future years if I feel it's justified.

One thing - I'm still paper-based but I keep the paper copies on two-up pages in my files. When they ask for a copy that's what they get from me. It's also cheaper to mail since it's half as thick Never had but one complaint (from a loan broker), and all I did there was tell her how to enlarge the copies if she thought it was necessary.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yes always give copy free

I always give a copy of the return and do not charge for it. I realize it is easier for the client to just call us for a copy rather than look for thier own. I consider it part of my service. My theory is charge a good, fair fee and service the client well (work hard for the client and charge a good fee when you do the return).

Comment

Personally

I think it is hard to explain charging extra for a return copy unless you told them at the time of preparation that there would be a charge for additional copies. I agree personally with those who built extra copies into the regular fee. I would however question mailing or faxing someone a return without getting at least a fax asking for that. We used to be able to do that but under the relatively new privacy laws I don't think we can.

Comment

However.....

Unless you know the other spouse personally and recognize her voice on the telephone, I wouldn't mail her a copy.
              Instead she needs to come by my office to pick up the copy
              AND provide proof of identity.

Am I being too careful? (grin)
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Correcto

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                Unless you know the other spouse personally and recognize her voice on the telephone, I wouldn't mail her a copy.

Nope. I would mail it to her address if that is the address on the return. If she moved out and wanted it sent to another address, I would ask that she pick it up.

I had a client that I fired 3 years ago. She never picked up her large box of tax records. She called during the summer and was sending someone to pick up her stuff. I told her that I would send her a form that required her signature and the name of the person that was to pick it up. I also told her that the person would also have to bring the form to me.
                She never had the stuff picked up. Whatever. I think I will start charging rent.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

I think this issue all depends on the relationship with the client and how pesty this client is or has been. At least that is the way I handle it.

I have one client who never has all his information at one time and I charge him extra for it. Every year I tell him why I charged him extra and every year he does the same thing. He has a kid in college now and is always hounding me for copies of his previous year's returns'. So I charge him $25 for a reprint. Then he wants copies of his W-2s' to boot.

One year he wanted me to do his son's return who worked in NJ while in college there, and also worked in NY. I quoted him $100, subject to any other issues that could raise it higher. "Why are you so expensive", he said? It is because you always have too many issues that use up my time.

This client usually comes in in February (good for me) but this year he showed up March. I did his return and he got about $1,700. He said "wow, the other guy could only get me $600> What is different" and he shows me the return completed by another local preparer. He has several mistakes and he never took into consideration your son was in college. I handed him a bill for twice what I would of billed him and he paid it on the spot.

I still have this client and I bang him every year for everything he asks of me > because he is a pest.............................Do I like doing this to him ????? YE$
                  Last edited by BOB W; 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM.
                  This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post

No, you should require a signature or an in-person pick up. Clients now also sign for anything they pick up. Their memories are getting bad (mine too).

A client caled and wanted me to fax a copy of her return to her new tax preparer in another city. (I was glad not to do this particular return.) So I said 'Yes, I would do that but I needed a signed authorization from her. Her new preparer could fax one to me.'

Somehow that was too much trouble for her so she asked me to send one to her. At this point I was unwilling to do so because she had a copy that was packed up and hard to locate. So, I said I'd do so - just send me an authorization for my file and I'd send it right off. I never heard from her again.

Presumably she "found" her return.
                    JG

Comment

Working...
                    X