Form to keep same ID#

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form to keep same ID#

I thought I heard once there is an IRS form to notify IRS you are forming an LLC (from a Sch C proprieortship) and keepng the same Fed Tax ID #. (IRS now wants us to keep the same #). Does anyone know the form number?

Not Me

John, I don't know.

But I'm responding because I'm observant about the proliferation of numbers. There is a maximum of one billion (minus one) under the current 9-digit format. Whereas we have 300 million individuals and certainly only a portion of that for businesses and entities, there was an attempt at some point in the past to impart some kind of intelligence to the numbers.

62- was once Tennessee, 52- was once Georgia, 63- was once Alabama, 91- was once non-profit, etc. The third digit actually meant something, certain numbers for corporations, etc.

I've noticed IRS has abandoned any such structure in assigning new numbers, as the recent assignments have been from a bowl of numeric alphabet soup. Will I live long enough to see all billion numbers used up? Probably not.

I can't help but thinking of the first hydro-electric dam in Alabama at Muscle Shoals, AL, which was converted into the first TVA dam. At that time, the dam was going to generate enough electricity "for the whole state of Alabama until the year 2000." But by the year 2000, the dam was not producing enough power to provide for the nearby town of Florence, AL. Thus it may be with FEIN numbers.

Y'know John, this has turned out to be a very bad post. It didn't answer your question, started out only remotely on-topic and got even further away. I'll leave it on the thread so others can the perfect example of how not to answer a thread.

..."after reading this, I realized my friend had written the perfect country and western song. I was drunk..."

No, I haven't lost it friends. Not yet...

Comment

This is not a direct answer to your question, but here is something I found on theIRS website:

"I recently formed a limited liability company (LLC). The LLC has no employees. Do I need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC?

No, you will not need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC if you are the sole owner of the LLC and the LLC has no employees. If you are the sole owner of the LLC and the LLC has employees, you will need to get a separate Federal Tax ID number, if you choose to have the LLC report and pay employment taxes with respect to employees of the LLC. If you are not the sole owner of the LLC, you will need a separate Federal Tax ID number for the LLC. See Notice 99-6, 1999-1 CB 321. "
      Dave, EA

Comment

Working...
      X