Kiwanis International

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kiwanis International

My Kiwanis group received notice CP-299. They appear to want a tax form 990????

The group receives less than $25,000.00.

The notice seems to say "2008 Annual electronic notice...."

Does this mean the group will have to file something NEXT year or do they need to do something right now?

Mahalo....

Bjorn

New Electronic "Postcard"

I think that might be the new "postcard" return the IRS has been talking about. Haven't seen what it will look like yet. This is a link to the letter the service is sending out.

In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

If you don't reply

within three years you lose your tax free status.

Comment

next year

means next year, something new...everyone files a 990 of some sort, even is under 25,000. If under 25,000, it's filed on the IRS websight and cannot be mailed in.

Comment

e-filed

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
          means next year, something new...everyone files a 990 of some sort, even is under 25,000. If under 25,000, it's filed on the IRS websight and cannot be mailed in.
          Does the IRS know how many non-profits in small towns do not have a computer, or even know how to use one? Most of these non-profits (cemetery associations, VFW's, American Legion, Masonics, etc.) are run by elderly who have no knowledge of the computer.

I guess that is an opportunity for us to make some more dough.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Kiwanis International

Yes- this is part of the new game in town. All tax exempt organizations with under the
            $ 25,000 threshhold must e-file.
            I belong to Rotary International - same type of exempt org.
            All the Clubs in our District were sent an e-mail from our District Governor, that each Club will have to e-file this thing next November. Fortunateliy - I won't be a Club officer next year.
            Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
              My Kiwanis group received notice CP-299. They appear to want a tax form 990????

The group receives less than $25,000.00.

The notice seems to say "2008 Annual electronic notice...."

Does this mean the group will have to file something NEXT year or do they need to do something right now?

Mahalo....

Bjorn
              It means for 2007.

From the new Small Business TTB, page SB1-9

Exempt Organizations Below the Filing Requirements
              Effective for 2007, small tax-exempt organizations that previously
              were not required to file returns due to the gross receipts
              of $25,000 or less test are now required to file Form 990-N, Electronic
              Notice (e-Postcard). Organizations exempt from filing under
              other rules, such as religious organizations, are exempt from filing
              Form 990-N. The due date for Form 990-N is the 15th day of
              the fifth month after the close of an organization’s tax period. The
              first filing deadline for Form 990-N is May 15, 2008, for calendar
              year organizations. Form 990-N must be electronically filed as
              there is no paper Form 990-N. For other rules on exempt organizations,
              see Tab SB14.

Comment

I think they're exempt from filing still

Originally posted by JG EA
                Does this apply to churches?
                but will defer to someone with more info.

Comment

J Nc

Hi I just deleted my post because I didn't read the previous post from Bees well enough.

"Organizations exempt from filing under
                  other rules, such as religious organizations, are exempt from filing
                  Form 990-N."

But I didn't get away with deleting it because you quoted it. Oh well, Sorry.
                  JG

Comment

Working...
                  X