Alabama Preparers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alabama Preparers

For state income tax purposes, Alabama allows an exemption of $25,000 for severance pay. This has been true for a number of years, and the state has issued guidance for employers to indicate the amount of severance pay as an item in Box 14 of the W-2.

Large automakers in Alabama and neighboring states have trimmed their workforce by thousands of workers, beginning in 2006. Some of them, including primarily General Motors and subsidiaries, have refused to call this attrition "severance pay" and worse still, have specifically refused to include any mention in Box 14. It's anyone's guess: legal worries, political correctness, ERISA, etc. etc. but essentially they are not calling this settlement what it really is.

Alabama Dept of Revenue has not been derailed by this outbreak of corporatespeak. They have allowed these settlements as severance pay, and they qualify for the $25,000 exemption. They are allowing amended returns for 2006.

After speaking with them today, they are instructing as follows:
    1)Show the entire amount of wages as wages, with no reduction.
    2)Show the $25,000 (or whatever amount) as a "negative" on the "other income" line.
    3)Since a desired W-2 with the amount indicated is not forthcoming from the employer, enclose a copy of last check stub, proposed settlement paperwork, etc.

I'm sure some Alabama preparers are already aware of this, but I'm sharing this for those of us who don't.

Line 21

Does Alabama have a line 21 on the adjustments to income???

If you mean Line 21 on the 1040 I beleive it would create a huge problem.
    Confucius say:
    He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Page 2

Lyman, the $25,000 exemption is not available for Federal Purposes.

Alabama has line 8 on page 2, part I. This is where you enter "Other Income", similar in purpose to line 21 on the Federal return.

Comment

Line 21

Did you edit your original post???

I thought I saw "Line 21 other income" mentioned.

My above reply concures with your response.
        Last edited by RLymanC; 12-13-2007, 12:33 PM.
        Confucius say:
        He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Golden Rocket

check private messages
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
          X