Use Test on gain exclusion on sale of home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Test on gain exclusion on sale of home

Do you think "time lived together unmarried" in home could count towards time requirements of the "use test" for purposes of filing MFJ and excluding $500K of gain on sale of home?

Situation is: Client owned home since 1995, was married in 2004/5 (exact date is a critical fact I am waiting on from client). The couple sold the home in 2006 due to employment relocation. The spouse doesn't qualify fully under the Use Test if you look at time she occupied the home as married. But if we used the time they lived together in same house before getting married she would qualify under the Use Test.

Total gain is $550,000. Client excludes $250k, and spouse partial (at least) from date of marriage to date of sale under the reduced exlcusion rules.

Even under reduced exclusion (using date of marriage only) I'm looking at including a taxable gain of possibly $100,000....

(house was in CA)

Jay
    Jay

The use test

is person specific, and does not depend on marital status, IF both names are on
    the deed, at least.

Around here (not one of those communistic property states) man and woman often
    establish a household first with both names on the papers and later on get married,
    so I've seen it before.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
      is person specific, and does not depend on marital status, IF both names are on
      the deed, at least.

Around here (not one of those communistic property states) man and woman often
      establish a household first with both names on the papers and later on get married,
      so I've seen it before.
      Will ahve to find out if her name was on the deed (I doubt it) I don't have closing papers yet either.
      Jay

Comment

Spouse need not own

Only one spouse needs to won the house but both have had to use it for 24 months as a principal residence during the 5 years before the sale to claim the $500k exclusion. TTB page 20.

Comment

I think Kramberg means 'owns' the house. Yeah, its the 'marry the boy/girlfriend right before you sell the house' clause, at least if he/she was a live-in, and you get the full $500,000.

Comment

Working...
          X