E-services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-services

I had promised that I would report to you about E-services after I completed a seminar about that topic. Well I went to the seminar and came out with just as much confusion as I went in with. The IRS spokeswoman totally agreed with me that it is difficult to move around once you are in, but that it is a learning curve that needs to be overcome.

I asked "Why is it so cumbersome to get around once I am in the site?" She said "it is all about security". Then she goes on to say that "There are now user programs available from outside vendors that make the task a lot easier". "What do you mean", I said. "They charge for their easy access programs but it is worth it". ???????????????

What is this world coming to, where is IRS's head? Security, that is what User names and Passwords are for. Not layers of futher hurdles. In discust, I walked away from our discussion.

Well guys and girls, you can pay with your time or you can pay with your dollars if you want to use E-Services.

I can tell you that getting transcripts is super fast, once you get the hang of it. I personally need transcripts once every 2 or 3 years. And when I need them I go to the local IRS office and get them. I guess they will be cutting out that availability sometime in the future?????
    Last edited by BOB W; 12-18-2007, 06:20 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

The new software helps, maybe

The third party software they referred to is TaxScripts. http://www.taxscripts.com/

One of the designers is an EA active on the NAEA webboard, who was involved in beta testing e-services before it was rolled out. His frustration with e-services, as designed by the IRS, led to the creation of TaxScripts. The irony is that there is a version of TaxScripts designed for IRS employees to use, since they find the e-services program difficult to navigate!

I still call PHL and fax them a copy of the 8821 and they fax the information back to me within 2 hours, every time. Plenty fast for me.

Daniel
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
      The third party software they referred to is TaxScripts. http://www.taxscripts.com/

One of the designers is an EA active on the NAEA webboard, who was involved in beta testing e-services before it was rolled out. His frustration with e-services, as designed by the IRS, led to the creation of TaxScripts. The irony is that there is a version of TaxScripts designed for IRS employees to use, since they find the e-services program difficult to navigate!

I still call PHL and fax them a copy of the 8821 and they fax the information back to me within 2 hours, every time. Plenty fast for me.

Daniel
      I heard that all fax services is going to be discontinue. Don't know where but I heard it.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

e-Services

Unless you have a high-speed internet connection don't try to get on e-Services. It is terrible and you will time-out on several applications.

High-speed is great.

When you print, you have to change the printer to print landscape, not portrait. The IRS letters will run off the right side of your paper if you don't.

This has been a continuous problem and they have no plans to change.
        Jiggers, EA

Comment

Our tax dollars at work....
          Dave, EA

Comment

I just took a look at the TAXSCRIPTS. It looks really great. Does it really work like they say it does in their demo? If it does I'm sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
              I just took a look at the TAXSCRIPTS. It looks really great. Does it really work like they say it does in their demo? If it does I'm sold.
              Well,,,, Several EAs that use it rave about it. When I tried the 3 day free trial it couldn't log me into e-services. I had logged in directly just before trying it, and again right after it couldn't, and was able to get in fine. Don't know what the glitch was, except I noticed that it changed my usename to ALL CAPS, and I think e-services is case sensitive, so it wouldn't work. I didn't try again, was out of town for a time after that and haven't contacted Taxscripts about the problem. I only need transcripts 4 or 5 times a year and can't justify the price for TaxScripts, right now.

Daniel

12/03/07, 0930PST
              Just received this message:

E-Services will be down for maintenance from Dec. 7 -10

Thank you,

Brian Wozniak

IRS SB/SE CLD

(503) 326-3343

Brian.Wozniak@irs.gov
              Last edited by taxmandan; 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Service will not

be down. There is a notice on the e-services page saying that the scheduled maintenance has been cancelled.
                Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Watch for incorrect information

I've used e-services for the last 2 years or so. Generally it's a pretty good tool. However I had a recent case where the transcripts had incorrect data. The agent working the case from the IRS could offer no explanation as to why it was wrong except to admit that it was.

The transcript showed an over payment in 2005 applied to 2006 which matched our records. When the client received a balance due notice we couldn't make sense of it. Turns out there was no overpayment (client had mailed a payment to the state instead of the IRS) but still bothersome that the transcript was wrong.
                  In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                  Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

You got the balance due notice because the amount was applied to 2006 and couldn't be pulled back if it was due to an adjustment that the refund evaporated.

Comment

TaxScripts

Originally posted by Piglee View Post
                      Yes, and it is actually better than the demo which I created several months ago. Since then we have made numerous changes to TaxScripts for easier customer use and reliability. We also offer a money back guarantee.

I built TaxScripts because I know what we, as tax profesionals need when it comes to e-services, a top notch application that saves you time in getting "IRS Transcripts in Seconds." For NSTP and NAEA members, we do have a 50% discount this month.

You can also test drive the software for FREE for 3 days.

James D Leimbach, EA
                      President
                      TaxScripts

Comment

Link not deleted because of the following:

We have a rule on this message board that newly registered posters are not allowed to post links to other websites. The reason for this rule is to prevent spammers from abusing our message board to promote their products.

In this particular case, it was a senior member who is proven to be a contributing member of this message board that originally posted the link.

The product was being discussed by other contributing members in the context of useful information to tax professionals in general. This thread is similar to tax preparation software discussions, which are appropriate discussions for this message board.

Please keep in mind that we cannot allow the promotion of commercial tax products on this message board by representatives of the companies that sell such products. We do, however, allow discussion of various commercial tax products by contributing members of this message board in the context of what works for them as professionals. We welcome Mr. Leimbach to this message board and invite him to contribute as a tax professional, and not as a sales representative.
                        Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 12-18-2007, 04:57 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=JimLeimbach;46581]
                          ." For NSTP and NAEA members, we do have a 50% discount this month.

QUOTE]

I agree, no solitations>>>>>>But 1/2 price, that's a good deal. I just checked their web site and it doesn't mention this offer. So it must be a verbal thing????? If you call in your order.
                          Last edited by BOB W; 12-18-2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

My Apologies

Originally posted by Brad Imsdahl View Post

The product was being discussed by other contributing members in the context of useful information to tax professionals in general. This thread is similar to tax preparation software discussions, which are appropriate discussions for this message board.

Please keep in mind that we cannot allow the promotion of commercial tax products on this message board by representatives of the companies that sell such products. We do, however, allow discussion of various commercial tax products by contributing members of this message board in the context of what works for them as professionals. We welcome Mr. Leimbach to this message board and invite him to contribute as a tax professional, and not as a sales representative.
                            My sincere apologies for coming across as a "sales" reply. It was not my intention. I only wanted to provide clarification to the product.

Jim Leimbach, EA

Comment

Jim> for those of us looking to use E-Services I can only thank you for the insight in developing your product. It is a shame that our government can't produce a product that is workable. We in the industry are not handicapped, mentally, but enough is enough. The handicap must be coming from the other side of the equation.

Thanks Jim> I'll phone in my order.... Will they know about the 50% discount?

Comment

Working...
                              X