Paying Canadian Citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying Canadian Citizen

A client is planning to use the services of a Canadian citizen and is asking for guidance on reporting the payments. First time I've encountered this. The contractor lives & works in Canada and arranges for items to be shipped from Canada to the US. Payment is on a commission basis and the individual will be free to perform this same service for other companies similar to my client's. Seems to me he might need to issue a Form 1099 at year-end and that's about it. Is there any separate reporting that needs to be done to Canada?
    Last edited by JohnH; 11-26-2007, 08:37 AM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Canadian

Boy am I tired of these Canadians taking American jobs. JUST KIDDING IT IS A JOKE, PLEASE DO NOT BAN ME!!!!

OK, the contractor lives and works in Canada, which means he is not a US citizen, which means he does not have a Soc Sec Number. So, exactly how do you send him a 1099? I would have him send your client an invoice for amounts due and cut the checks to him - no reporting necessary that I know of.

Matt
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Thanks

Yes, I should have been more careful with the wordking of my post.

I was more or less thinking that Canada might have an equivalent of the 1099 and if so, would a US company be expected/required/asked/etc to file it with them if the company doesn't have a physical presence in Canada. I did do some reading on the definition of an independent contractor in Canada, and their definition seems to track along the same lines as the IRS. But I couldn't find anything that says Canada expects any sort of reporting of payments to independent contractors, so I guess a year-end courtesy printout sent to the contractor will be all he needs to do.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Canada does not have the equivalent of US 1099's - they go by honor!

Your US firm should issue a 1099 -there are some rules (which escape me right now) on reporting 1099 income to aliens.

Comment

Makes sense to me

>>> Canada does not have the equivalent of US 1099's - they go by honor! <<<

It makes sense that they would go by the honor system. All my Candian friends are as honest as can be, and they enjoy paying taxes so much I just can't imagine any of them failing to report all their income.

Comment

Working...
          X