Tax organizer... You still use them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt. . .

I used to use Prosystem FX at the firm I left and we were able to suppress client organizers in the software itself. So when I client came in and didn't use their organizer, we would go in and suppress it so it wouldn't print the following year. I don't know if Ultra Tax has a place to do that, and it also wouldn't solve the issue of different tax letters, but just thought I'd mention it.

Actually, with this thread itself, maybe one of these days I'll graduate from junior member!

Comment

Ultra Tax

Ultra Tax does have a box to turn off the organizer.
      Last edited by BOB W; 12-29-2005, 07:45 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by natiro
        I used to use Prosystem FX at the firm I left and we were able to suppress client organizers in the software itself. So when I client came in and didn't use their organizer, we would go in and suppress it so it wouldn't print the following year. I don't know if Ultra Tax has a place to do that, and it also wouldn't solve the issue of different tax letters, but just thought I'd mention it.

Actually, with this thread itself, maybe one of these days I'll graduate from junior member!
        For what its worth... I use Prosystem FX and for whatever reason the organizers average 20 to 30 pages long. I send a letter that says the organizer's use is optional.

Comment

Ditto

I have a list and ask if they want to be on it to receive the organizer form the tax program or a page with their expenses (from Tax Tools). Most of my clients don't want one, some just want an organizer to find their info and don't actually write anything down, some love the tactile sensation without the responsibility of doing a tax return and have every line filled out, even all the W-2 information, some like anything offered essentially for free.

Most don't want it. I just get out my list and print and send to the ones that want them. And then I send to those that want just an Occupational expense list. Also on my list are clients that want reminders of ES payments, advance appointments, etc.

It really is not a very long list. Most of my clients view coming to see me (although the experience is life altering) as the same as coming to see their dentist. It is a chore to be completed. They are always happy it is as painless as I try to make it, but they are happy when it is all over.
          JG

Comment

Tax organizer

Once when I was considering it I asked my daughter what she thoutght. She said she would really like one to help get her records ready.
            I gave her one, but she did not use it.
            I think the idea appealed to her a lot more than the work of filling it out.

Comment

Tax Organizer

I agree with all who say the clients don't fill them out...I have created my own client letter and checklist for all items needed to prepare a return and a self-created worksheet for Sch C and E clients.
              The less work they have to do the better they like it.
              taxea
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Organizer

This will be the first year out of the last 10 that I have not sent a newsletter to my EZ and 1040A clients along with the information sheet that contains names of all individuals on the return, along with address, etc. etc. For my Schedule A/B/C/D/E/ clients I include the all prior year info that was entered.

This year I am sending the organizer to 1040 clients only. The comments from the EZ and 1040A clients will be interesting.

I really believe the Newsletter was interesting to the short form crowd as I included bits on what form 8332 was and how it could be and should be used. How welfare, AFDC, food stamps & social security income effected the dependency exemption but not the EIC credit, etc., etc.

Had a lot of positive feedback on the information included in the newsletter. I may have been responsible for some going to H&R and not disclosing other income. That is pure speculation however.
                Confucius say:
                He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Might have been mentioned already but if you only print off the pages that are useful to the clients previous tax season, how do you use the organizer to make sure all those other non-printed pages aren't extremely important for THIS year? Just because they didn't need the info last year doesn't mean they don't need your help this year and don't realize it.

I've said it before, I think the organizers are just a waste of energy and a habit. I guess if you train the client well enough, they'll do most of the data collection for you and do 90% of the return. But then when they look at your fee versus the professional service that goes beyond what H&R Block offers, you aren't going to stand out so well - just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    Might have been mentioned already but if you only print off the pages that are useful to the clients previous tax season, how do you use the organizer to make sure all those other non-printed pages aren't extremely important for THIS year? Just because they didn't need the info last year doesn't mean they don't need your help this year and don't realize it.

I've said it before, I think the organizers are just a waste of energy and a habit. I guess if you train the client well enough, they'll do most of the data collection for you and do 90% of the return. But then when they look at your fee versus the professional service that goes beyond what H&R Block offers, you aren't going to stand out so well - just a guess.

I find your post insulting.

Just because the organizer doesn't have the pages that weren't used last year doesn't mean that new issues do not get dealt with. I assume that you discover new issues for your clients in the same way I do. . .through conferences, questions, contact throughout the year. You seem to be living proof that you don't need all the organizer pages to be thorough. I provide organizers for clients who use them or request them because I believe it's a service to them that helps them gather information. I'm not saying that it fits with everyone's practice, but it works in mine. Perhaps they are a waste of energy and a habit to you, but not for me.

I take issue with your second paragraph, too. I am a CPA in private practice and the level of service I provide (and hopefully expertise) goes way beyond what H & R Block provides. I think I can safely say that I don't have a single client who would question the professional service they get from me. Who are you to judge what type or service someone provides just because they chose to send out organizers to their clients?

This thread was started by someone asking if anyone still uses organizers. From the varied responses it's obvious that we all have different thoughts about them and different reasons for using them or not. It's been an interesting discussion. . .at least I thought so.

However, your response stood out for its rudeness. Your last sentence is particularly insulting.

Comment

Organizers

Would never be without them. Clients pay me for time spent. A few will offer computer generated alternatives that work. After that it costs more to have me generate the input then if they do.... and they know that..

Comment

Organizers

When my clients come in, my secretary print off a organizer that has the information from last year. This way they have to make changes on the paperwork. Maybe they moved, had a new kid, lost a kid, etc. I also have the main W2 companies, and main 1099 information on it, so that they can check to see if they are missing anything. We also either mail, fax or e-mail them out as requested. Part of my organizer is a 2 page questionaire about things, like buying a vehicle, college, and anything else that can change their tax return from last year. The client also signs this form for our records. It also helps with quality control.

Comment

E-mail organizers

This year I'm trying e-mailing my organizers to my clients. I can password protect them in Adobe Acrobat. We'll see how it goes. But I agree, I like the organizer so they can see what they gave me last year and check to see that they have everything before they send it in.

Comment

Sandytax

My biggest problem with organizers is the feeling to that I'm just sending out clients a bunch of paperwork to fill out that looks and feels amazingly like an entire tax return. Your procedure of incorporating the organizer into your meeting and using it as an outline is awesome. Maybe that's what everyone else is really doing but the way you explained it really has the feel of taking service to the next level. Awesome job Sandytax, I'll be utilizing that procedure! )

Natiro - I don't think they were talking to you directly since you obviously limit organizer use to those clients that specifically want the service. Our job is providing service and you obviously are doing that. The thing I fear with organizers is sending the message to my clients that I'm to busy or important to meet with them and go through the information personally. Premium service is what garners premium pricing. Expertise without the service just feels like a big ego trip and I wouldn't want to be involved with that and I'm guessing most people wouldn't if given the choice.

Thanks Sandy, I hope I'm not in direct competition with you!

Comment

Working...
                            X