E-Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Services

I have become a fan of e-services for the ease of addressing a problem. After having to sit on hold listening to Vivaldi for an hour I begin to feel like the Alec character in "A Clockwork Orange".

I did have an interesting issue lately that seemed to point to a weakness in the system. The tax payer had an overpayment on their 2005 return, which we applied to 2006. Upon filing the 2006 return they received a notice stating they owed more money. I pulled 2005 and 2006 account records and responded to the notice on e-services. They replied back that there weren’t the payments claimed on the return. I pointed to the account record which clearly showed the expected carry forward. They again responded that although it showed on the account record it wasn’t correct.

The taxpayer had the checks recorded in their check book but upon obtaining copies from the bank discovered that one of the checks had been mailed to the state department of revenue which deposited the check and refunded the difference on their return. Not comparing the refund received to the refund expected they didn’t catch it. Question is why they never received a notice on 2005 and why the account record remains wrong.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Vivaldi

So what's wrong with Vivaldi?
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I love Vivaldi

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      So what's wrong with Vivaldi?

It's just that after hearing the same 3 minute passage of the Four Seasons for 45 minutes while on hold I begin to have a reaction.

Ever see "A Clockwork Orange" in Alec's case he was subjected to an experiment meant to cure him of his violent ways. He was given a drug that made him ill at the site of violence while being forced to watch violent images. All the while they played Beethoven’s Ninth, which happen to be his favorite piece of music. Thereafter hearing that piece of music made him ill.

Hearing Vivaldi’s Four seasons makes me think of being on hold with the IRS.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Working...
      X