How to say I was a dependant in 2006 on 1040x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to say I was a dependant in 2006 on 1040x

I filed myself as single last year but I was living dependently on my fathers form. My father claimed me a dependent. Me and my father both got a letter from the IRS recently which state that I claimed myself single and my father claimed me as dependent. I live at the same address so I got both letters saying that he claimed a dependent which filed as single. I made a mistake since I was living as a dependent under his household in 2006. I would ask my father to clarify but he passed away in June.

How do I claim myself as dependent in 2006 with form 1040x? (the one the IRS sent me)
    Which line# do I need to fill in?
    Do I have to fill in the whole form or just the part that needs to be amended?

Thank you for your time and any help you can give,
    Steve

Originally posted by TaxNoob View Post
    I filed myself as single last year but I was living dependently on my fathers form. My father claimed me a dependent. Me and my father both got a letter from the IRS recently which state that I claimed myself single and my father claimed me as dependent. I live at the same address so I got both letters saying that he claimed a dependent which filed as single. I made a mistake since I was living as a dependent under his household in 2006. I would ask my father to clarify but he passed away in June.

How do I claim myself as dependent in 2006 with form 1040x? (the one the IRS sent me)
    Which line# do I need to fill in?
    Do I have to fill in the whole form or just the part that needs to be amended?

Thank you for your time and any help you can give,
    Steve
    I am sure we would all like to help, but some clarification is needed. Did
    you claim yourself on your return? If your father could and did claim you as a dependent on his return, then you can (and should) amend (1040X), removing your personal exemption and recalculating your standard deduction (there are tables and such in Publication 17 and the Instructions to the 1040 and 1040X) - might be a tax increase, depending on the income level. Does this help?

Comment

Sorry about your father.

Page 2 of Form 1040X, Part 1, is where you change an exemption amount (claiming someone as a dependent).

A few issues, however, that need to be addressed.

1) You don’t file 1040X to claim the same thing you already claimed. If you already claimed yourself, and still want to claim your own exemption amount, you aren’t changing anything. If IRS sent you a letter and says they propose changing something you already filed, then you simply respond to the letter saying you disagree, for this and that reason.
      2) If your father claimed you as a dependent because he qualified to do so, then you cannot claim yourself. Its not about who wants to, but who qualifies to do so. You have no choice in the matter. That fact that he is deceased is irrelevant. It is what were the facts at the time that he filed his tax return.
      3) I suggest you seek the services of an Enrolled Agent. You can find a listing for ones in your area by going to http://www.naea.org/MemberPortal/

Enrolled Agents are licensed by the federal government and are generally experts in the area of taxation. If you don’t know what you are doing and need to come on a message board to ask basic tax questions, it indicates you need help, especially when IRS writes you a letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
        Sorry about your father.
        Thank you

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
        Page 2 of Form 1040X, Part 1, is where you change an exemption amount (claiming someone as a dependent).

A few issues, however, that need to be addressed.

1) You don’t file 1040X to claim the same thing you already claimed. If you already claimed yourself, and still want to claim your own exemption amount, you aren’t changing anything. If IRS sent you a letter and says they propose changing something you already filed, then you simply respond to the letter saying you disagree, for this and that reason.
        2) If your father claimed you as a dependent because he qualified to do so, then you cannot claim yourself. Its not about who wants to, but who qualifies to do so. You have no choice in the matter. That fact that he is deceased is irrelevant. It is what were the facts at the time that he filed his tax return.
        That is what is confusing me. In the letter it says I have to change it back to dependent, this is what it states:

Why we're sending you this letter

We're sending you this letter because you need to make sure you are not someones dependent.

We are asking you to do so because on your 2006 federal income tax return you claimed an exemption for yourself. For that same year, we also received a return where someone claimed an exemption for you as their dependent. Each taxpayer is entitled to only one exemption. You may not have been entitled to claim an exemption for yourself if someone took an exemption for you as their dependent.

IF [you are not someones dependent] THEN [you don't need to do anything]
        IF [you are someones dependent] THEN [You need need to amend your tax return by completing the form enclosed with this letter]
        Does that mean a dependent as of now or at the time of filing?

Thanks again for your time I will check out that link.

Comment

Dependent

It refers to the filing of your 2006 return. Bees Knees is right on target: IF your father was qualified to claim you, then you may not claim yourself. Everything else flows from that.

Comment

And if your father was entitled to claim you, then the letter is telling you to file Form 1040X and NOT claim yourself as a dependent. Do that on page 2 under Part 1.

It will cost you some extra tax plus interest and penalties. You will also need to file an amended state return if your state uses the federal rules for dependents. Most states will charge you extra if they catch you first before you have a chance to amend the return, so don't wait to receive a letter from them.

An Enrolled Agent can help you with all of this.

Comment

Or perhaps, your father made the mistake, and was not entitled to claim you. How much income did you have? Were you a full time student? How old are you? Just because you were living with your father does mean you were his dependent.

Comment

Working...
              X