IRS Instructions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Instructions

Seems like I’ve answered a number of questions over the years on this message board by simply copying and pasting a paragraph out of the IRS instructions. In case anyone is wondering, I’m using the upgraded 2006 WebCD version which has a Government Documents Library that gets you to any Form, Instruction, or Publication in seconds.

A lot of tax questions can be answered that way. You can also get to the specific spot in the Forms, Instructions, or Pubs using the subheading in TheTaxBook as a link. I think since IRS no longer distributes package X, people have gotten out of the habit of looking in the instructions. The WebCD is a good substitute for package X. I suggest you order it if you haven’t already done so. If not, I’ll continue to copy and paste the answer for you on this message board.

I have ordered the web cd

and like it.

But I think your faster.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
      and like it.

But I think your faster.
      Not when I'm watching Survivor, or Dancing With the Stars, or American Idol, or that new Greate American Band contest, or Boston Legal, or Earl.

Comment

Brad, It would be great if you could post helpful search hints by listing "step by step " the subject being looked for and what it takes to get there.

I have a tendency to think too narrow in my searches when I have to start out broader.
        Last edited by BOB W; 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Step by Step?

Bob, do you have the Web CD product? I don't think you do. Maybe I didn't understand your question.

There is no "process." It is so fast, there really is no "step-by-step" process. The entire Tax Book, as well as IRS instructions, etc. is laid out for your mouse to access. If you accidentally go to the wrong section, you will find cross-references which take you to the right section. Example: you look under Capital Gains, Form 4797 for a depreciation question. If you really want depreciation methods, there will be a link to take you to the Depreciation tab.

For reference materials, you have linked drill-down capability into a huge storehouse of IRS instructions, rulings, etc. that are appropriate for your search.

I keep the Tax Book in front of me with customers and invite them to read with me if they so desire. At home, on my PC, the Web CD is the quickest access to information yet designed.

Comment

Yes, Bob has the WebCD.

As I understand the question, the IRS has allot of information in its Pubs and Instructions, but where do you start? How do you find it?

As GR pointed out, one way is to use TheTaxBook. If you know where the subject is in TheTaxBook, go there, then click on a header, and it takes you to the spot in the IRS Pubs and instructions that provide more detail.

However, if you don't know where it is in TheTaxBook, or the link from TheTaxBook is not what you were looking for, another approach could be to go to the IRS Publications Index starting on page 25-6 in the Deluxe Edition. Topics are listed in alphabetical order, with a listing of IRS Pubs that cover that info. Go to the Pub listed, look in the back Index of that Pub for a page reference, and there you are.

For example, if you look under "Clothes, work," it lists IRS Pub 526 and 529. Pub 529 is in bold, as that is the one that provides the greatest detail.

BTW, you don't need the WebCD to search the IRS Pubs if you remember to use the IRS Publications Index in Tab 25 of the Deluxe Edition.

Comment

How come when I click on "search" from the main screen, the program brings me to another search screen and I need to click on it to do a search. If I type in "IRA" it finds nothing.

Then I noticed that it was looking on "my" hard drive "C::

What is that all about?
              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
                How come when I click on "search" from the main screen, the program brings me to another search screen and I need to click on it to do a search. If I type in "IRA" it finds nothing.

Then I noticed that it was looking on "my" hard drive "C::

What is that all about?

I don’t know what you are doing. When I enter IRA in the search feature, it comes up with 18 documents in under 2 seconds where you can find 805 instances where IRA occurs in TheTaxBook.

Are you using Acrobat Reader version 8?

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                  I don’t know what you are doing. When I enter IRA in the search feature, it comes up with 18 documents in under 2 seconds where you can find 805 instances where IRA occurs in TheTaxBook.

Are you using Acrobat Reader version 8?
                  There is no "begin search button" on the second screen and I didn't realize that I just had to press "enter". I was clicking on other areas to get me to a search button.

"Search Attachments">, is a substitue button name for a "begin search" button?

See, I told you I was dense..........Attachments????? What is that????? Don't touch!!!! I didn't want "attachments" I want The Tax Book.........

Needless to say, I now know how use the search feature. In the past I used the "hunt & peck" method = "dense"
                  Last edited by BOB W; 11-02-2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

It also helps to watch the cool video of the guy demonstrating how to search. Go to help and click on the video.

Comment

It also helps to watch the cool video of the guy demonstrating how to search. Go to help and click on the video.
                      I remember watching it when you sent it during the summer. I did some searches then and it worked great. I just got mentally side-tracted, I turned 65 in September so it is all going downhill since then, just kidding................

Comment

I think Sixwire

Is head and shoulders above the competition.

Not when I'm watching Survivor, or Dancing With the Stars, or American Idol, or that new Greate American Band contest, or Boston Legal, or Earl.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                          Is head and shoulders above the competition.
                          Agreed, Muggs and the Girl group can go next.

Comment

Working...
                          X