Child AMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child AMT

Yet another thing I've never seen before.

A new client wants me to prepare his son's return who is under 10 years old. Over $30,000 in interest is reported to his son---the principal amount was given to his son from a lawsuit several years ago.

Well, I immediately thought that the child's income would be subject to the kiddie tax, but low and behold the child's parent's taxable income is $0 due to heavy losses from self employment---I didn't prepare their return.

Now since his son's income is not subject to the kiddie tax, the interest income is now subject to AMT. He doesn't qualify for the under 18 AMT exemption because he has no "earned income". What a mess. Now the child is paying 22% tax on this money.

I was trying to think of ways around this. If they setup a trust and transfer the money to the trust, any taxable income over $10,500 or so is taxed at 35%---yikes.

If the child's parents' taxable income puts them into the 25% bracket or higher in later years, the child's income will be taxed at that rate creating even more tax.

The money is supposedly locked away in a bank, so that if the parent needs access to it---say to pay taxes on the income, the parent must petition the court and hire a lawyer to do so. They said that no trust has been setup and no EIN was applied for.

What a mess. I suppose there is no way around it. I just don't see this too often---never in fact. Just wanted to share my weird story of the week.
    Circular 230 Disclosure:

Don't even think about using the information in this message!

Same problem - found no solution

I have the same situation with a client who has a child receiving an annuity after the death of his mother. Child ended up paying AMT - I searched and fretted and looked everywhere - could find no way out. Very unfair.

Comment

That situation stinks

I used to do returns for a weathly family that had transfered assets into the kids names. Used to have AMT on 3 or 4 kids every year. But they had the money so I never felt bad. The situations described here cry out for some change.
      In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
      Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Interest

If the parents are in the 0% tax bracket, would it lower the tax overall for the family if the parents elect to report the child's interest and dividends on their own return? You'd have to run the numbers both ways. I haven't had one lately where the parents' rate was lower than the children's rates. (I had my own many years ago when my son's rate was the same as my own.)

Comment

Dave not sure if this is what you are talking about, but there are mutual funds out there that are amt free. Something with the way they invest the money either limits or negates the reporting of amt. Personally I have never looked at them or used them but only heard that they exist. Tell them to talk to a qualified investmetn advisor.

Comment

Can't do it

Originally posted by Lion View Post
            If the parents are in the 0% tax bracket, would it lower the tax overall for the family if the parents elect to report the child's interest and dividends on their own return? You'd have to run the numbers both ways. I haven't had one lately where the parents' rate was lower than the children's rates. (I had my own many years ago when my son's rate was the same as my own.)
            One of the qualifications to do this is that the child's earned income cannot exceed $8,500. I thought about that one too.

I will do some research on the AMT free mutual funds.

Thanks.
            Circular 230 Disclosure:

Comment

Earned Income

Originally posted by DaveinTexas View Post
              One of the qualifications to do this is that the child's earned income cannot exceed $8,500. I thought about that one too.

I will do some research on the AMT free mutual funds.

Thanks.
              Dave,
              Perhaps I did not read the original correctly, but I did not see anything about the child having earned income. So, dumb question, how does this $8,500 affect things?

LT
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Oops!

I meant to say that the child's "unearned income" cannot exceed $8,500.

If anyone else is curious, From the 8814 instructions: Emphasis on the last part.

Use this form if you elect to report your
                child’s income on your return. If you do,
                your child will not have to file a return.
                You can make this election if your child
                meets all of the following conditions.
                c There was no federal income tax
                withheld from the child’s income.
                c The child was under age 18 at the end
                of 2006. (A child born on January 1,
                1989, is considered to be age 18 at the
                end of 2006. You cannot make this
                election for such a child.)
                You must also qualify. See Parents who
                qualify to make the election below.
                c The child’s only income was from
                interest and dividends, including capital
                gain distributions and Alaska Permanent
                Fund dividends.
                c The child’s gross income for 2006 was
                less than $8,500.
                Circular 230 Disclosure:

Comment

Working...
                X