Please take private conversations with other participants to email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please take private conversations with other participants to email

I received an email from a message board participant asking for my opinion. This participant disagrees with those who “chime in” on a discussion and cause the thread to become “elongated as if there’s no end to it, getting off the topic, in an attempt to prove their point (and possibly promote their special interest).” This participant does not like it when others “post simply to carry on a private discussion” with other participants and feels it “detracts from the pleasure of coming to the board for an even handed open discussion.”

I replied with the following message

It is a delicate balancing act to play when we attempt to censor posts and impose restrictions on using the message board. The only rules we have imposed so far are as follows:
    • You must register to post.
    • You cannot directly insult or verbally attack other posters.
    • You cannot post copyrighted material on our message board.
    • New registered users cannot post links to other websites.
    • You cannot use the message board to advertise other products.
    • You cannot post spam, or other inappropriate matter such as obscene language.
    • Off topic discussions (other than tax issues) will be tolerated to a limited extent, however, if it gets out of hand, we may edit threads and ask participants to get back on topic.
    • We reserve the right to edit or delete posts for any reason when we feel it is appropriate.

I agree with you that at times, certain posters can go overboard in trying to turn the message board into a chat room. A relatively small group of individuals have become addicted to the message board and feel they need to comment on every little thing said. This is similar to a few people who seem to think they need to dominate the conversation at a social gathering.

However, that is the risk we take when we try to allow as much freedom of expression as we do. Try imposing restrictions on conversation at the office or at a social gathering and see what kind of reaction you get. You become the bad guy when you try to tell others what they can say and how they can say it. You may have good intentions on trying to make the conversation more meaningful and productive, but it still comes across as censorship.

We have attempted to create a virtual tax office. Anonymous tax professionals from around the country are invited to join in on tax discussions with their fellow collogues. This atmosphere is especially appealing to those of us who work in small or single practitioner offices, allowing us access to professional opinions that we might not otherwise have access to. However, just as the conversation in your office between co-workers can at times get off topic, the same thing happens on our message board. The difference is your boss has the right to say, “get back to work,” as he or she is the one issuing paychecks to everyone. We are not the boss of our participants.

If you have any specific suggestions on how we can improve the message board, let me know. Thanks for your concern.

Brad Imsdahl
    I do not intend for this thread to turn into a debate about our policy on participation. Nor do I want you to attack the opinion of this participant. I am posting this in an attempt to encourage all of us to exercise some self control and to show some consideration for all who participate. Please take your private conversations to email when it gets too far off topic.

Thank you.

Hard to Draw the Line

I think we've all been guilty of getting off-topic and sending ping-pong messages back and forth. We all enjoyed the Taco Bell post a few days ago, and sending a plate of White Castles to a beleaguered tax preparer out west somewhere. For many of us struggling with the Oct 15 pressures, it came as comic relief. I can't imagine anyone complaining to the editor about that.

I agree a two-way post should be taken to e-mail, especially now that we have had our attention drawn to the private message feature. In my opinion, sharing disagreements using cites, regs, etc. is good for a thread. But some of us just absolutely must win the last word in an argument. I have often referred to this as a "tastes great - less filling" scenario, where the subject matter gets lost and bantering techniques move to the forefront. When I get sucked into something like this, it is better for everyone if I just simply back off.

Sometimes the subject matter in a post will metamorphize into an entirely different topic. If the new topic is worthwhile, I will often begin a separate thread. I would recommend this if the old thread appears to sprout wings and fly off into several directions.

As may be obvious, I am one of those who enjoy my participation. I may average 30 minutes a day in reading and answering posts. The experience for me has been very educational and developed a comraderie among other tax preparers who have similar goals and concerns.

For the monitors, it is easy to delete posts which contain vulgarity or insults. It is far more delicate to keep a degree of relevance on the board at a level that suits everyone. We should not try to tell them how to consistently apply subjective rules to the fancy of such a broad spectrum of users.
    Last edited by Golden Rocket; 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM.

Comment

I have a lot I'd like to say on this, but...

but, first I wish to take the prudent course and point out something that may help some folks that appear to be exasperated by what I consider our balanced - work and play - approach to this community.

I know many have suggested that if you don't like a thread, just skip it, but I haven't noticed comments that this is easier to do in some Display Modes than others.

In either Hybrid or Threaded mode it is quite easy to pick out new entries and quicky review what has been added by participant name and subject heading. If there are those that haven't experimented with these modes, then you might wish to check them out.

I wish to say that I enjoy, and I'm sure do many others, some of the more private exchanges - about members health, location, etc. A private message is useful if you truly wish to communicate off board and off topic in PRIVATE to a particular individual, but I would be sorry to see the board lose those personal exchanges that make the community what it is.

Comment

Personally I do not understand what the person with the complaints is referring to. Maybe Brad or Paul or that poster could enlighten the rest of us by providing some examples of threads which they viewed were out of line.

Secondly I agree with Abby and GR and would like to add that we as professionals already have so many useless rules we must follow and adhere to that it would be a shame to make something as enjoyable and good natured as this and turn it into a hassle because we have to watch out for breaking some simple rule. My advice to the poster who complained would have been if you don't like it simply don't read it. I think it really is that simple. I remember months ago when one banned poster who shall remain nameless started to post these fictitious tax questions that were based in part in lies, I found them to be nonsense so I simply choose to be in control of my own mind and computer and ignore them. I am no worse for the wear and frankly neither is anyone else.

Truly what makes this board what it is, is the great personalities of the individuals who participate. I would be against anything that tried to quash that.

Comment

I agree. I read several other message boards. (Not related to taxes.) There are always things that do not interest me. I simply do not open those threads.

I too get a lot of laughs sometimes from things posted on this board. I enjoy the give and take.

We really shouldn't be so serious ALL the time. There's plenty of that in the real world.
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

I agree!

I really agree with ALL the responses. I am a visitor to other boards and this one is best! Not too stiff and not too "business like". I like that. In a normal working environment, there is always going to be some levity at any given time.

The one thing that I like about this forum is that everyone is respectful of each other and never a sarcastic, mean-spirited tone to any of the great answers we read day in and day out. Combine that with a little humor, I don't think you can beat this forum.

I think all of us are a great fit!

Dennis

Comment

Off topic within limitations

It would be pretty bad if this became a 90% off-topic message board. However, an occasional remark or witticism is tolerable and maybe even desirable.

An example of something that should not be acceptable, in my opinion,is the type posting one guy made daily on the ATX board in which he described what he had for lunch-- every day.

Once or twice wouldn't be so bad if he really ate something interesting, but his constant postings about his totally commonplace meals were a misuse of a tax-related message board. Useless posts of this type probably helped to convince the ATX executives to discontinue the message board.

Comment

Originally posted by sea-tax View Post
                Personally I do not understand what the person with the complaints is referring to. Maybe Brad or Paul or that poster could enlighten the rest of us by providing some examples of threads which they viewed were out of line.
                Examples of what has been deleted in the past are political arguments, based on partisan politics. They started off as legitimate debates over tax policy, but eventually morphed into off topic political bickering and personal insults. That turned off a number of participants, and we eventually had to say no more. If certain un-named former members would have exercised a little more restraint and stopped when they were asked to stop, it would not have been an issue. Even then, when it got way out of control, it was a hard decision to censor posts and impose restrictions.

The complaint I received today was not specific as to what exactly was offensive. So I cannot be any more specific as to what they meant by “off topic” or “private discussion.” I assumed the person meant it was like in a grocery store when someone is carrying on a loud conversation with another on a cell phone, and wants to make sure everyone else in the store knows they have a cell phone.

Comment

Too time consuming and burdensome

I find it too time consuming and burdensome to jump to the private Emails. We are all very busy and many of us jump in and out of the message board quickly. If we have a quick point to make, even if it's off topic, it's much easier to do so right in the message trial. I agree we should post with respect and discresion, and keep diversions to a minimum. I just want to say that it does not work for me to use private messages unless a real unique situation.

Comment

You are doing

a terrific job. I would hate to be in your position of monitoring posts. As you know by now, no matter what you do, will receive all types of answers. Plus and minus. And those in-between. Keep up the work you are doing. I believe it is appreciated by the majority.

Comment

I agree

The hosts of this Forum do a fine job of maintaining a good balance between several competing points of view & posting styles. Personally, when they express a desire for a change in how participants conduct themselves, I try to conform to their suggestions because I appreciate their willingness to make this resource available. I don't consider it censorship or inconvenience - I view it more in the nature of respecting how someone expects me to behave when I'm visiting their home, even if it might differ slightly from how I act in my own home.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

John,

You put it so eloquently. Thanks.

Comment

Good point

Good point Larry, I agree.

Comment

Eloquent? Me? Nah...

Larry, John:
                            Thanks for the nice compliment.
                            Eloquent isn't something I'm accustomed to being called.

If I happen to stumble into saying something significant, I tend to attribute it to what we in NC call the "Blind Hog" theory - "If you allow a blind hog to root around long enough, eventually he will turn up an acorn."
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Civilization does require rules

And the monitors do a great job. What I have noticed (as others have noted) that respectfullness is required and is present. It exists among posters and for THETAXBOOK moniters who allow us to have this wonderful invironment to exchange our ideas. The rules have been established to keep us civilized - but we all need a laugh, a shoulder, a prayer or just a little goof off time. I for one appreciate all the knowlege and help that we gather to share, curtesy of THETAXBOOK. I also feel that knowlege is best shared in a great place that has a dash of personality mixed in. It makes the listening a little easier. I think the monitors have kept this board at the "Happy-medium" that is just right.

If the monitors need to give us a warning from time-to-time, it just keeps them on their toes. I think there is a good balance.

Jeannie

Comment

Working...
                              X