Private Messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Messages

Bob W. just made a good point over on another thread (Anyone using *******?). It is -- that he never knew private messages existed. Which, I think, is not particularly unusual. Why would he (or anybody else)?

I'd been on the board for quite a while when somebody happened to mention that he would "PM" me -- I didn't have a clue what that was until I asked and somebody explained it to me. Then, like Bob, I clicked on it and found that half a dozen people had sent me messages (some of them months ago) and I had, unknowingly, ignored them. I was quite upset to realize that they probably thought I was, at best, too lazy to respond, and, at worst, that I'd read their messages and intentionally dismissed them as unworthy of a reply. Imagine my, and Bob's, distress. This is a good board -- people put their thoughts and hearts into some of these posts and they certainly deserve the consideration of a reply, which I think most posters here would surely give if they knew about them (everybody likes to feel he/she's important enough for people to write to).

The point being, it might be a good idea to build in some kind of notice about this important feature of the board and maybe an "instruction manual" of sorts which lists the services available and how to use them -- a "roadmap," so to speak, that would pop up automatically when a "new guy" logs on for the first time. Maybe then we can avoid such misunderstandings and make this a better board (I was gonna use the phrase "promote the general welfare" but I think...umm...Thomas Jefferson -- wasn't it? -- beat me to it).

Anyway, you get the drift. If there isn't such a thing, it seems to me we need one. Some of us may feel "it's basic stuff" or that we -- somewhat cynically -- "already know all that," but many probably don't and we're in the business of building a better board rather than stroking egos.

Mabye there's already such a thing here, and if so, then (Brad/Paul) please let me down gently. But even if there is -- it doesn't seem to be working very well.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 10-16-2007, 04:14 AM.

There is a FAQ in the upper left menu, which explains all the different functions and user options on this board.

There is also an option to enable or disable private messaging. You can turn it off so others cannot send you private messages. You can also check the box so that if you do accept private messages, the forum will send an email to your registered email address to inform you that there is a private message.

As is the case with any computer program, this message board has a learning curve. I suggest everyone play around with the options, learn how stuff works, and review your user options from time to time.

Comment

I am assuming that if I ever get any private messages, they will show up at the top where the welcome message is in the numerical summary. Is that not correct?

Comment

I believe that is correct. I just notice that I had 1 unread MSG.-it was sent 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Pm

I check that section every time I come in.

No one's written or called!

Comment

Working...
          X