refinancing rental property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refinancing rental property

Can anyone tell me where to look to find the details on refinancing rental property?

Client I inherited refinanced his rental house in 2006. But he is using some of the money for personal use, like paying off his truck.

At EA seminar this summer, this topic was discussed and I know that this is not allowed and changes the characteristic of the mortgage interest. But I need to find this discussed so I can tell him and know how to do the schedule E.

Thanks for your help.

Linda

Re: Mortgage Interest

Can;t tell you where to find the discussion , but the subject is not new , The expense should be allocated between private and rental useage , Maybe if you look up the IRS site on rental/mortgage expense.
    Explain the allocation and the percentage used in separate notes where the taxpayer will have signed and confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
      Can anyone tell me where to look to find the details on refinancing rental property?

Client I inherited refinanced his rental house in 2006. But he is using some of the money for personal use, like paying off his truck.

At EA seminar this summer, this topic was discussed and I know that this is not allowed and changes the characteristic of the mortgage interest. But I need to find this discussed so I can tell him and know how to do the schedule E.

Thanks for your help.

Linda
      Go to TTB page 4-14, Interest Tracing Rules. There's an example that fits you situation.

Comment

I'm redfaced

right now.

I guess so much has been going on, I didn't even think to look in the Tax Book. I should have looked there first.

Thanks.

Linda

Comment

Refi

Linda,

Take a look at some past discussions on this and see if any of it will help you.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Hope you can find something here!

Dennis

Comment

Working...
          X