IRS Offers Relief for Late S Corporation Elections - 2007-62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS Offers Relief for Late S Corporation Elections - 2007-62

Businesses that are eligible to elect S corporation tax treatment now have a simpler process for requesting relief for late elections under a change announced by the Internal Revenue Service today.

Revenue Procedure 2007-62 allows small businesses that missed filing Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation, before filing their first Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation, to file both forms simultaneously. The change is effective for taxable years that end on or after Dec. 31, 2007. Internal Revenue Bulletin 2007-41, published on Oct. 9, 2007, includes this new guidance.

The IRS cautioned that the requirement for filing Form 2553 to establish the election in advance of filing the initial Form 1120S remains in effect. However, the new process will save time and effort for those taxpayers who can establish reasonable cause for making a late election.

Form 2553 will be updated to reflect the new rules, so taxpayers filing paper Forms 2553 should download the most recent revision from IRS.gov. Form 2553 can also be submitted electronically as an attachment to an e-filed Form 1120S.

There is relief under earlier guidance for late elections for taxpayers who meet certain conditions. Previously, taxpayers had to submit Form 2553 along with a statement explaining the reasons for the late election. The new guidance provides a simplified method to request relief by permitting taxpayers to file their first Form 1120S along with Form 2553 and include the statement on the form.

Small business corporations that are eligible for tax treatment under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code enjoy the advantages of the corporate structure while being taxed similarly to a partnership or sole proprietorship.

The new procedure will reduce taxpayer burden by allowing the agency to process a properly completed tax return and its corresponding election without delays or additional contacts with taxpayers to resolve the issue of a missing election.

Isn't that great news. IRS seems to get some things right.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX View Post
      Businesses that are eligible to elect S corporation tax treatment now have a simpler process for requesting relief for late elections under a change announced by the Internal Revenue Service today.

Revenue Procedure 2007-62 allows small businesses that missed filing Form 2553, Election by a Small Business Corporation, before filing their first Form 1120S, U.S. Income Tax Return for an S Corporation, to file both forms simultaneously. The change is effective for taxable years that end on or after Dec. 31, 2007. Internal Revenue Bulletin 2007-41, published on Oct. 9, 2007, includes this new guidance.

The IRS cautioned that the requirement for filing Form 2553 to establish the election in advance of filing the initial Form 1120S remains in effect. However, the new process will save time and effort for those taxpayers who can establish reasonable cause for making a late election.

Form 2553 will be updated to reflect the new rules, so taxpayers filing paper Forms 2553 should download the most recent revision from IRS.gov. Form 2553 can also be submitted electronically as an attachment to an e-filed Form 1120S.

There is relief under earlier guidance for late elections for taxpayers who meet certain conditions. Previously, taxpayers had to submit Form 2553 along with a statement explaining the reasons for the late election. The new guidance provides a simplified method to request relief by permitting taxpayers to file their first Form 1120S along with Form 2553 and include the statement on the form.

Small business corporations that are eligible for tax treatment under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code enjoy the advantages of the corporate structure while being taxed similarly to a partnership or sole proprietorship.

The new procedure will reduce taxpayer burden by allowing the agency to process a properly completed tax return and its corresponding election without delays or additional contacts with taxpayers to resolve the issue of a missing election.
      I'm not sure where you got that, but I'm not sure it's a correct analysis.

From your post, "The IRS cautioned that the requirement for filing Form 2553 to establish the election in advance of filing the initial Form 1120S remains in effect..."

The Rev. Proc. says to file Form 2553 along with 1120S, "The forms must be filed together no later than 6 months after the due date..."

Comment

It is 100% correct

Originally posted by Luis Mopeo View Post
        I'm not sure where you got that, but I'm not sure it's a correct analysis.

From your post, "The IRS cautioned that the requirement for filing Form 2553 to establish the election in advance of filing the initial Form 1120S remains in effect..."

The Rev. Proc. says to file Form 2553 along with 1120S, "The forms must be filed together no later than 6 months after the due date..."
        I got E-mail form IRS that I subscribe to. Unless IRS is wrong....this information is correct. I have not changed or edited ANY info.

Comment

Late S Election

I filed a late election in 2006, attaching an explanation of why it was late, illness, to the 2553.
          This was accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by TAX View Post
            I got E-mail form IRS that I subscribe to. Unless IRS is wrong....this information is correct. I have not changed or edited ANY info.
            The Revenue Procedure said to file the forms together, which is basically the whole point of the Rev. Proc. It doesn't reconcile with the statement that the 2553 must be filed first, but it wouldn't be the first time.

What made me wonder about the source of the statement was "The IRS cautioned that the requirement for filing Form 2553..."

It doesn't sound like it was written by the IRS. I thought maybe it was from some independent news service or something.

Comment

Irs

It was written by the IRS, in fact it is on their website. I see it as no different than 2003-43 for Corps or 2004-48 for LLC's or Sole Props except the fact that it can be filed with the return. You still have to attach a statement like:

"I was sick"
              "My dog at my original paperwork"
              "I did not have an opportunity to seek professional help"
              "It is late because it is so just accept it"
              etc.
              I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Working...
              X