Which Tax Software handles States Well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Tax Software handles States Well?

I have clients from many states, and many clients that do business in multiple states. I'm looking to change from ATX software to something else this year. I've previously been tagging along in the Drake vs Pro Series thread but thought it might be time to start a new one.

I'm looking for a software that:

Handles all states (for individuals, partnerships and corporations) well
    That is efficient to use
    Navigation through "bunnyhops" to form
    Good diagnostics (since I don't do a ton of any one particular state I'd like to be able to lean on the software to troubleshoot these returns)

My volume: About 150 individual, 50 Partnership, Corp and Non Profit -I'm not a high volume preparer so a PPR option might suite.

I've downloaded Ultratax and have a Demo for Drake to try out. I've used Proseries in the past but am not fond of paying so much to a company that sells almost the same software to the public for $30.00. I think Intuit needs to identify their market rather than try to get it all.

Any recommendations other than Drake and Ultratax?

Thanks

Carolyn

I would recomend

Lacerte.

By the way we just got a new client today courtesy of Turbotrash. They make the best clients and are very loyal once you fix all the stupid mistakes.
    Last edited by veritas; 10-04-2007, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Ultratax would be at the top of my list

I switched from Ultratax to ATX a couple of years back for a host of reasons, and liked ATX even with some of its pitfalls. This year I'm uncertain about ATX and haven't made up my mind yet. If I don't renew ATX I'll definitely go back to Ultratax - I just need to decide whether it's worth it to cough up the huge extra bucks. I can say I really liked UltraTax and never had a single complaint about the program, support, etc. You would be wise to keep it under consideration.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Tax Software

Give Taxwise a shot. Sounds like what your looking for.
        Confucius say:
        He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Tax Software

I learned, when MicroVision sold out to Creative Solutions 4 years ago, that considering price only doesn't pay. All the small software vendors, that boast of bigger price discounts will eventually be bought out by the bigger companies anyway - so the price savings is only temporary.
          Even though UltraTax is a higher priced, higher quality level product, it certainly has been worth it to me to stay with them. UltraTax's tech support is EXCELLENT - have never had a problem - tech support is in U.S. - not sourced out to India. There's easy accessability between the input screens and the actual forms that makes every entry easy to comprehend how it will look when it's printed.
          UT has all the features you're looking for.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post

I've used Proseries in the past but am not fond of paying so much to a company that sells almost the same software to the public for $30.00. I think Intuit needs to identify their market rather than try to get it all.

Any recommendations other than Drake and Ultratax?

Thanks

Carolyn
            Carolyn> I forgot to mention in prior posts that my ultimate discision why I went with Ultra Tax (CS) was just because of Intuit owning ProSeries. But I still liked ProSeries.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Lacerte, Lacerte, Lacerte, and Lacerte

Comment

Software States

My choice has been and very happy with is TAXWORKS

K

Comment

Originally posted by Kurly View Post
                  My choice has been and very happy with is TAXWORKS

K
                  Do you know how many subscribers Tax Works has?
                  This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

TaxWorks

I beleive its over 5,000. Check their web site www.taxworks.com. When I was with a national chain taxprep firm we used their program and we alone at that time had ove 100 offices and did over 200,00 tax returns, they have since been bought out by HR, four years ago.

K

Comment

Lacerte

Lacerte has served me well, it's definatiely not the same software that they sell to the public, and their new "Trial Balance Utility" just may be a new revolutionary way to do business taxes. (import from QB into a working trial balance which is built right into the tax software).

Comment

I like Drake Tax Software

I have used Drake Tax Software for ten years and like it. It handles ALL states and
                        will allow electronic filing of ALL returns at NO extra charge. It cost $995.00 per year. I recommend it.

Comment

OP was about handling state returns

Originally posted by dyne View Post
                          I have used Drake Tax Software for ten years and like it. It handles ALL states and
                          will allow electronic filing of ALL returns at NO extra charge. It cost $995.00 per year. I recommend it.
                          I've used Drake for 7 years, and while it does handle all states, not all are handled well. State returns have been the one weak point with Drake (OK, there are others but not so annoying). I have to carefully double check everything on my home state returns, I've learned that Drake misses things and doesn't e-file all of the forms that are prepared as part of the return. Response from tech support has been that unless the state mandates the form for efiling, they don't necessarily make it available for such. Creates real headaches when the client comes in later with a letter from Revenue asking for the forms that I thought were efiled with the rest of the return.
                          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X