Dennis or Sandy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dennis or Sandy

I have a question involving California for you. I have a client who has never resided in CA but she did have interest in a limited parntership that operated in CA, I assume since she always got a CA K-1.

She has had NOL for the past few years and usually small losses or a little interest from K-1. It never amounted to over a couple of hundred dollars from the K-1.

The partnership sold or liquidated or something. It is finished as of 10/31/06. In the sale of the partnership she has ended up with $2674 of ordinary income, almost $1000 on Sch D and over $4400 of debt forgiveness.

I did the CA return as non-resident and it comes up with her owing no tax. Her AGI was a negative $30476. As I said she is carrying NOL for several years forward. Since the NOL's have no basis in CA, I just wanted to make sure that this was correct that she didn't owe CA any tax.

Dennis or Sandy, if you have any questions you can email me - lforner@earthlink.net.

Thanks.

Linda F

Nol

Linda,

The 540NR will start with any CA source income below the section for personal exemption. That will be where the negative Federal AGI of -$30,000+ (line 13), if I understand your question correctly. So, you could be correct in owing nothing here.

If you have no diagnostics, but feel something doesn't look right, fax pg. 1 & 2 of the 1040 and the 540NR & 540NR-CA to me (not all the worksheets) and I'll take a look for you and get back to you.

I will email my fax #. If you have any further questions, post them or email me.

Dennis

Comment

Linda...

Everything carried where it needed to and the Fed and CA differences are fine and correct.

Looks good. I would file it!

Dennis

Comment

Thanks

for your help, Dennis.

I really appreciate it.

Linda F

Comment

Everything was correct!

You're very welcome, Linda. Glad I could help you out.

Dennis

Comment

Glad Dennis could help

Sorry Linda, I am on a huge partnership return that is giving me "grief", but Dennis gave you some good advice.

So I will try on the next one!

Sandy

Comment

Working...
            X