Odd Phone Call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Phone Call

Got a phone call during tax season of 06 I think it was and I've been meaning to ask if this sort of call is common and whether it was what it seemed to be or perhaps the IRS or a competitor testing my Ethics. Caller claimed to be a married female with children and to have a middle class income. I think one member of the couple was employed and one self employed. They always itemized their deductions with their mortgage being the big ticket item. They had decided to in some way overstate their deductions and credits to make sure that there was zero tax as protest against the War in Iraq. I mentioned that the most effective legal tax saving strategies need to be in place before the beginning of the year. She asked point blank if I rejected all illegal tax saving strategies and I said that I did so she hung up. So I ask again, was this a real taxpayer or was someone like the IRS or a competitor testing or playing with me?

Not sure

Not sure if it was or not, but I would not have let them get off the phone without a thorough scolding of their liberal stance.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

No need to waste your time

Trying to reason with a tax protester is like trying to teach a pig to sing.

All you get for your efforts is bad music and a frustrated pig.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

IRS would not waste time trying to entrap you over the phone. There is no penalty for voicing wrong advice. Tax preparer penalties occur when the tax return is prepared wrong.

Comment

Yes, I routinely plan to commit Federal crimes with strangers over the phone. Next we will plan to rob a bank.

If the caller was serious, they really have no common sense. Who would agree to break the law like that?

I agree with Bees, I doubt that the IRS would approach an investigation that way. Talk is cheap. They want it in writing!!! :>)
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Sure it wasn't Wesley Snipes calling?

That is odd. I think it was probably some trying to get a point across about the war in Iraq and not wanting to fund it. Why don't they try calling their representatives and tell them what they told you. It might get them somewhere.

Comment

Its in the U.S. Budget:

$1,000,000 for the Water free Urinal Conservation Initiative
              $75,000 for seafood waste research
              $4,200,000 for shrimp aquaculture research
              $234,000 for the National Wild Turkey Federation

…which equals 0.0002% of the total tax collected by IRS.

I don’t want to pay for those things. Can I take a tax credit equal to 0.0002% of total tax on my 1040?

Comment

IRS making phone calls

From what I understand IRS does not make "blanket" phone calls to a taxpayer stating certain issues.

I had a not so favorite of a client of mine today to say IRS made a phone call to him and stated that he had not filed an extension form for form 1040 in 4/07 for 2006. Now is this realistic?

Sandy

Comment

Don't forget

Bees:
                  Don't forget the grantr allocation for the National Teapot Museum in NC.
                  It' s in the budget - I'd rather not pay for it.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                    From what I understand IRS does not make "blanket" phone calls to a taxpayer stating certain issues.

I had a not so favorite of a client of mine today to say IRS made a phone call to him and stated that he had not filed an extension form for form 1040 in 4/07 for 2006. Now is this realistic?

Sandy
                    I very recently received information that this is a scam that is going around. The callers know enough to sound realistic. When the client argues, they ask for information such as ss#, current address, etc. Then after a little bit, they, by some miracle, find the information and tell the client that everything now appears to be in order. Of course, they now have all that is needed for identity theft.

LT
                    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Don't forget the lipstick!

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                      Trying to reason with a tax protester is like trying to teach a pig to sing.

All you get for your efforts is bad music and a frustrated pig.
                      on the pig, that is. (grin
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                      X