No announcement yet.

S Corp unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently in washington state the Employement Security departement has sent out letters to all corps asking to list all corp shareholders and officers so that if one try to file for unemployment they will have the information on a database. I guess this is happening often up here in washington. I have never seen a client actually try to pull this stunt. Most corp officers that I have exempt themselves from Employement Security taxes for state of washington and pay a little higher Futa rate.

Comment

NC Dialect

BBart:

"P.P.S. I'm a big fan of the regional patois. Got any more NC examples?"

I think one of the most unique aspects of NC dialect is learning the proper use of momenyms. Feel free to give it a shot, but if you aren't sure what I'm referring to I'll be glad to follow up with an example.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Dear "More Learned Than Thou,"

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        BBart:

...the proper use of momenyms...if you aren't sure what I'm referring to I'll be glad to follow up with an example.
        I don't have a clue, but I think I'd be interested. Still, we have to be careful nowadays, John, so please keep in mind that this is a family values website. Why, just a few months ago right here on this board, a shameless poster openly declared herself to be a (gasp) thespian.

Comment

It makes perfect sense to me

Proper use of "momenyms" with all due respect to family values:

"After church, we're all going over to momenyms to eat dinner".
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yuk, yuk; pretty good.

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
            Proper use of "momenyms" with all due respect to family values:

"After church, we're all going over to momenyms to eat dinner".
            Cop to Arkansas driver he's pulled over: Got any ID?
            Driver: 'Bout what?

Comment

North Carolina

BBart:

"P.P.S. I'm a big fan of the regional patois. Got any more NC examples?"

I had the pleasure of working in North Carolina, Wilmington and Asheville area for a few years. On my first trip there one of the local sales persons picked me up at the airport. She was a stunning blond who asked in her sweet southern way, "We're a fixing to go out for some drinks later, would you like to join us and maybe do some shagging later?"

It took me a moment to regain my composure and mumble something about being married and all. She of course found my confusion to be "just daling"
              In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
              Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Shagging

Yes, shagging is something totally different in NC that what it is in the UK.

Comment

Nc

My husband uncle used to responsed to the question "How are the crops doing?" Rest his soul , Uncle would come back with, "Right smart"

Even in a small rural community. I found after marrying into a very rural family, people from one road speak differently from ones from another road. Sink = zinc . "Gota' go my 10 -clock jest showed up."

Comment

Nc

My husband uncle used to responsed to the question "How are the crops doing?" Rest his soul , Uncle would come back with, "Right smart"

Even in a small rural community. I found after marrying into a very rural family, people from one road speak differently from ones from another road. Sink = zinc . "Gota' go my 10 -clock jest showed up."

Comment

Aw shucks

Originally posted by JAinNC View Post

Aw shucks, dahlin. I once read that the way "good christian people" gossiped in sunday school was to add "bless their heart" or "please pray for" to the statement. That made everything ok.

For example: Please pray for brother Herbert that he will be able to stay out of the bars down on Front street where he was seen drunk last Saturday night.

Bless her heart, poor Emelda is trying to stop visiting her best freind's husband every time that Janie goes out of town. It's just such a recurring problem with her.
                      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Aw shucks

Originally posted by JAinNC View Post

Aw shucks, dahlin. I once read that the way "good christian people" gossiped in sunday school was to add "bless their heart" or "please pray for" to the statement. That made everything ok.

For example: Please pray for brother Herbert that he will be able to stay out of the bars down on Front street where he was seen drunk last Saturday night.

Bless her heart, poor Emelda is trying to stop visiting her best freind's husband every time that Janie goes out of town. It's just such a recurring problem with her.

I juss kudn't resist passin this on.
                        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Another name

It's also know as"sanctified gossip".

Comment

Probably not smart

Suggest you read the regs on unemployment for your state.

It may be possible to collect, if she claims a valid reason. However, collecting unemployment on the company, when she is the sole owner, may not be kosher with your state. And if she thinks it will be free money, then she needs to think again. It will increase her contribution rate. So she's going to end up paying it all back (and probably more to boot) through increased contributions. Contribution rates are reviewed annually & if she continues to collect, her contrib rate will continue to increase (probably up to a max cap -I don't know your state regs). Of course the increased payroll tax expense will reduce the company earnings...

I sure wouldn't advise it, but maybe she has other ideas. Lots of people want a free ride, but only at the expense of others....

Comment

Here in Minnesota

I have an asphalt company. Father and son are two of many workers. It is obviously a seasonal business and both collect unemployment in the off season. The corporation pays in at the maximum rate. Two years ago they had a UC audit from the state. The auditor stated that unless the state changes the rules the state will always lose money on his operation. The owner did elect out the first two years now has elected back in.

I have heard of nightmares when S corps have closed and stockholders, former employees, had difficulty collecting UC.

You can collect in some cases in Minnesota.

Comment

Working...
                              X