CPE Depot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPE Depot

Have you take CPE courses from CPE Depot and what is your opinion of their material? I am an Enrolled Agent needing to pickup hours. Since I am retired, I am more cost sensitive than in the past

I called the IRS and found out that their sponsor number 6 is legit.

I search the treads but did not find anything on CPE Depot ... maybe the words are too common.

Thank you for your assistance.

low cost CPE

I'm not familiar with CPE Depot, but I sign up every month for the IRS teleconferences held on the third Wednesday of each month. It is 1 CPE hour and free. That can take care of 10-12 hours each year at no $$. Check irs.gov in the tax professional section for details on signing up.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Is this the Tax Talk you are using or is there something I missed? Free CPE would be something I could use.

Comment

No, Tax Talk has a fee for the CPE. These are once a month teleconferences via AT&T phone services. You dial in on a toll free number and listen to the conference for an hour, there is time for questions at the end. I don't have the website handy right now, but there is one this Wednesday. I get the notices thru the IRS E-news for Tax Professionals.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

NationalPhoneForum@IRS.gov

NationalPhoneForum@IRS.gov for information. AT&T site to register once and then sign up as forums come up.

Comment

CPE Depot

Snowbird,

I did pay for the classes last year and they were fine. I believe the fee for unlimited courses was $149. I did not get to use all them to lower my cost per course, but that's OK.

Check it out and also check out FunCPE.com. They charge per course. Same format. If cost is a factor for you, maybe the free IRS courses everyone is talking about here might be good for you.

Dennis

Comment

Dennis,

Thank you for the reply. What I like about them is that I can use them for this and next calendar year under one enrollment.

Comment

Free CPE

For those of you who use Drake Software, they have announced that they will have free CPE courses for their customers. This will be over the internet.
                Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

CPE Depot

Here is the web site:

Pay $ 149 with credit card (or you can mail a check)
                  Select a course
                  Order the course
                  Click on 'save to a directory' This does not save it to a directory. Instead this is to open a pdf file with the course material. You can then save it.
                  Print the exam.

Study the material and look up the answers to the exam questions.
                  You can also look at the review questions where you select an answer and get an immediate "Correct" or "incorrect" message. If it is not right, keep trying until you select the correct answer.

In my opinion, this is a good method of getting your CPE at a low cost and permits you to work as little or as much on the days you choose at your own convenience.

You don't have to fight the traffic going to and from the seminar. You can get up and go to the bathroom or take a break, etc. any time you choose.

Once you start a course, you have a year to keep coming back until you finish it.
                  If you fail the test, you get nine more times to retake it until you pass.

Comment

excellent source of CPE for CPAs

Hello fellow tax pros,

Deloitte has a progam called DBriefs. I've found it to be the best deal out there -- a gift.

Take the lead with Dbriefs—live webcasts that give you valuable insights on important developments affecting your business.

It's free, group based CPE which you access online from your computer. They offer about 4 to 6 seminars per week. Each seminar is only one hour long.

I find them to be very very convenient and easy to use. Participants are required to answer three poll questions per hour to prove attendance. They are non graded opinion questions -- impossible to get wrong. When the questions pop up they override any other window which is open on your PC. So even if something distracts you these questions are hard to miss!

Anyone on a budget, like myself, should start racking up these free credits ASAP. Sign up just once and that's it, boom, you're good to go.

This board has been an excellent source of information for me. I'm happy that i now have something worth adding. (I don't work for Deloitte.)

Comment

Check your state CPE requirements

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
                      For those of you who use Drake Software, they have announced that they will have free CPE courses for their customers. This will be over the internet.
                      If you have state CPE requirements check with them first, Oregon specifically denies credit for Drake CPE classes. They consider them too software specific for training on Drake programs therefore not really tax classes, by their definition.

Comment

asce.com

Anyone use www.asce.com ? I've been using them for years and like them. American Society of Continuing Education. About $4 per credit hour.

Comment

Teach classes or write articles

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                          I am an Enrolled Agent needing to pickup hours. Since I am retired, I am more cost sensitive than in the past
                          Look in Circular 230, where it says that up to half of CPE can be earned from teaching classes. Also, CPE can be earned for writing articles about taxes. Just some thoughts about low-cost, or even profitable, alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                            ...I am an Enrolled Agent needing to pickup hours. Since I am retired, I am more cost sensitive than in the past
                            Take advantage of Dbriefs. Attend a live seminar via your computer without even leaving your house. Completely free & super easy.

Take the lead with Dbriefs—live webcasts that give you valuable insights on important developments affecting your business.

EDIT: I'm somewhat surprised that people here look for inexpensive CPE yet no one has mentioned this. I hope some of you try it out.
                            Last edited by Skate1968; 08-13-2008, 04:25 PM. Reason: To elaborate

Comment

Link

Link has an error, do you have another link?

Also, do you know if they are qualified sponsors for Enrolled Agents?

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X