Personal expenses of S Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal expenses of S Corp

Many small S corps with single owner frequently pay some personal expenses out of the business account. They leave it up to the accountant to report it. I am curious as to how most accountants handle this under two scenarios: 1) positive beginning AAA and 2) negative beginning AAA. Assume it was never a C corp. On the 1120S, is it loan to shareholder, a dividend (assuming sufficient net income for the year), salary or distribution? Thanks.
    Last edited by Greenbriar; 09-16-2007, 05:34 AM.

Personal expenses

When the corporation pays for something that is a personal expense, I usually consider it a owner's draw. It can't be deducted and so just show as part of their distributions for the year.

Linda F

Comment

The problem with an owners draw is if you have more than one S corporation shareholder, you create a 2nd class of stock if distributions are not even by the end of the year.

You also cannot call it a loan from the S corporation to the shareholder because IRS would later say the S corporation is not in the business of lending money and reclassify it as a distribution, then terminate the S status for creating a 2nd class of stock, and then assess late payment and interest penalties for failure to pay C corporation taxes on the profits.

You need to give a dooms day warning to your clients if they ever pay for anything out of the S corporation checking account that is not business related.

Speaking of dooms day message, I just got back from a Bob Jennings Seminar. IRS just completed their S corporation test audit program. Out of 5,000 S corporation audits, all but a handful had increase tax adjustments. Number one on the list was S corporation wages too low.

Due to the overwhelming results and increase revenue netted from these audits, IRS says they are about to conduct 80,000 S corporation audits. For those who have been playing the beat the FICA tax game, you are about to have your clients audited.

Be warned. It’s coming.
      Last edited by Bees Knees; 09-17-2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X