Name on 1041 Estate Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name on 1041 Estate Tax Return

I am preparing a 1041 Estate Income Tax Return.

Should I enter the name as :

Estate of John Marcus Smith

or

John Marcus Smith Estate

I have the letter from IRS assigning the Estates Tax # but I can't tell which way it should be from that because of how it is printed on the letter, ie, I think they are using last name first methodology.

The IRS letter reads,

John Marcus Smith Estate

Would it matter if I entered it diferently than what IRS is expecting.

I could call the attorneys office that prepared the SS4, to see how they entered it on the SS4, but they are charging the client $350 per hour and I would like to avoid more fees for the client if I can help it.

Thank You,
    Harvey Lucas

Originally posted by Harvey Lucas View Post
    I am preparing a 1041 Estate Income Tax Return.

Should I enter the name as :

Estate of John Marcus Smith

or

John Marcus Smith Estate

I have the letter from IRS assigning the Estates Tax # but I can't tell which way it should be from that because of how it is printed on the letter, ie, I think they are using last name first methodology.

The IRS letter reads,

John Marcus Smith Estate

I could call the attorneys office that prepared the SS4, to see how they entered it on the SS4, but they are charging the client $350 per hour and I would like to avoid more fees for the client if I can help it.

Thank You,
    Harvey Lucas
    Use the name as shown on the letter. That is how the SS4 was completed and that is the name that goes with the ID#.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Six of one ... five of the other

I don't think so. As long as the name is the same and the TIN matches, it shouldn't matter.

FWIW, I always use the style you listed first (Estate of John Marcus Smith) on 1041's I prepare for estates.
      Roland Slugg
      "I do what I can."

Comment

I agree, it probably doesn't make much difference.
        I just follow the example in Pub. 559 (Estate of John R. Smith)

I alway get a letter from the IRS, saying I can't keep using the name John R. Smith
        Last edited by Gene V; 09-06-2007, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Harvey, Bob mentioned the SS-4. If you don't have the original, then you should get a copy for your files. Also, make sure you have a complete copy of the client's will/trust to follow.
          Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
            Use the name as shown on the letter. That is how the SS4 was completed and that is the name that goes with the ID#.
            That's the way I do it but that's not necessarily how the SS-4 was done. I did the SS-4 for one a couple months back and it was shown differently on the letter.

Comment

A Clue

Whe efiling a 1041, the Name Control is the first four letters of the family name - so I believe this is what they look at first, no matter how the name of the estate is entered.

Comment

Thank You

Thank you everyone.

Harvey Lucas

Comment

Working...
                X