Off-topic about a cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duly noted

Yes, I agree that it's time to observe the respectfulness monitor.

Black Bart certainly has a valid point in that there is plenty of quirkiness all over the country to go around. I will add that I'm more likely to take a swipe at NC, not out of some sort of subliminal need to be superior to somebody, but because I'm initimately familiar with the region. That comes from having been born in the NC foothills and having spent most of my 59 years as a resident of the state, except for having been banished to Michigan for a couple of years, 4 years serving my country in the military, and traveling around numerous US states on business over the years.

As for the particular comment, I don't think it is any more demeaning to my NC client than many of the comments I see & occasionally participate in concerning the oddball behavior of clients in all sorts of situations. But if I've offended someone, then it certainly wasn't my intent y'all.
    Last edited by JohnH; 08-30-2007, 09:22 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Okay, John.

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      Yes, I agree that it's time to observe the respectfulness monitor.

Black Bart certainly has a valid point in that there is plenty of quirkiness all over the country to go around. I will add that I'm more likely to take a swipe at NC, not out of some sort of subliminal need to be superior to somebody, but because I'm initimately familiar with the region. That comes from having been born in the NC foothills and having spent most of my 59 years as a resident of the state, except for having been banished to Michigan for a couple of years, 4 years serving my country in the military, and traveling around numerous US states on business over the years.

As for the particular comment, I don't think it is any more demeaning to my NC client than many of the comments I see & occasionally participate in concerning the oddball behavior of clients in all sorts of situations. But if I've offended someone, then it certainly wasn't my intent y'all.
      Sorry for jumping you. I didn't know you were from NC (your profile doesn't say) and, truth be told, I've used the hillbilly metaphor myself on occasion. Guess I'm thin-skinned about it (I sound a tad PC myself, don't I?), but I've heard that sister-marryin' stuff all my life and it just boils over on me once in a while.

Former president Bill Clinton's Chief of Staff, Betsey Wright, once editorialized in the Arkansas Gazette that natives of the state should resist the temptation to go the "rube route" for laughs, political gain, social interaction, etc. since the ultimate result was the reinforcement of our stereotyped image. I kinda think she's right and I aspire to always do better, but...I have to admit I've violated her rule many times if for no other reason than it was simply too good to pass up.

So anyway, this pot extends its apologies to your kettle. I still think the last paragraph in my previous post is generally accurate, but I do regret contributing to a chilling effect to the extent that you can't make a light joke without a PC zealot (me, in this case) becoming "offended/disturbed/concerned" and throwing a fit.

P.S. I'd be better off if I did have a toothbrush instead of a teethbrush because my dental bill resembles Russia's finances.
      Last edited by Black Bart; 08-31-2007, 05:20 AM.

Comment

No offense taken here

I like to think of myself as being pretty thick-skinned overall, but I'll have to admit that just like you I've been on both sides of this "make fun of the redneck" fence myself from time-to-time depending on the mood I was in on a given day.

(BTW, I hadn't noticed that my profile wasn't complete. Thanks for pointing that out - I edited in my location)
        Last edited by JohnH; 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
        X