Barry Bond's Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barry Bond's Baseball

There are presently several interesting debates taking place on a few of the tax blogs concerning the taxability of this historic baseball.......Some interesting choices are:
    1. The fan who caught the ball should not owe tax until he or she sells it. This seems to be the common sense view however common sense generally has nothing to do with the tax code.
    2. It is taxable income to the fan, based on FMV, the moment that person catches it under the "accession to wealth doctrine." This view logically stems from cases saying that the fan finds a "treasure trove" and owes tax on it right away.
    3. It is a gift to the fan and the donor owes gift tax on it. This raises the debate as to who the donor actually is.
    I have not reached a decision myself on this (it is getting late on a Friday evening and there is a ballgame on TV) however I thought we might get some interesting and diverse opions on this.
    Last edited by jimmcg; 08-10-2007, 09:15 PM.

Since he had to dive under the seats to get the ball, is this related to the post talking about what kind of work the woman did "under the table"?
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by jimmcg View Post
      There are presently several interesting debates taking place on a few of the tax blogs concerning the taxability of this historic baseball.......Some interesting choices are:
      1. The fan who caught the ball should not owe tax until he or she sells it. This seems to be the common sense view however common sense generally has nothing to do with the tax code.
      2. It is taxable income to the fan, based on FMV, the moment that person catches it under the "accession to wealth doctrine." This view logically stems from cases saying that the fan finds a "treasure trove" and owes tax on it right away.
      3. It is a gift to the fan and the donor owes gift tax on it. This raises the debate as to who the donor actually is.
      I have not reached a decision myself on this (it is getting late on a Friday evening and there is a ballgame on TV) however I thought we might get some interesting and diverse opions on this.
      4. Fan must return ball to Barry in exchange for his famous rejuvinating tonic or cream if you prefer.

Comment

Working...
      X