Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GAAP v.s. Tax

Hello,

I am preparing a PRE-IPO biotech company's return. The audited financial statements are on GAAP basis. On the balance sheet, there are large amounts of prepaid and accrual expenses/liabilites. Most of the prepaids are prepaid rent, insurance, etc. The accruals include a lot of items such as accrual vacation and bonus; but the very large items come from journal entries like this:

Legal IP XXXXXX
    Accrual Liability XXXXXX
    Also, there are journal entries like this:
    Stock basis compensation(FAS 123 R) XXXXXX
    Paid in Capital XXXXXX

Consultant Service XXXXXX
    Stock Granted for services(equity) XXXXXX

My co-worker told me that the prepaids are to amortized over 12 months. I disagree. He also told me that stock-basis compensation and all the accruals are not deductible. I am not very sure. For expenses that have the credit side as equity, he said not deductible either. I am just totally loss. I haven't done a M-1 reconciliation like this.

By the way, the accounting method as shown on the tax return is accrual.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Maria

Too broad

In reading your questions, you've really been too broad, and I for one have been overwhelmed trying to address such a vast subject area.

Can you narrow it down somewhat?

For example, accruals are not universally deductible, even though GAAP may require the expense to be recognized. In general, a liability must be paid by the due date of the tax return, or in the ordinary course of business in order for the related expense to be deductible.

Comment

I think the key on this..

is like the old saying: Eat a elephant one bite at a time.

Do the tax return page 1 then lay it up side by side to the GAAP statement. For each difference, determine if it goes to the M-1 or was simply missed on another form. When that one is resolved, move on to the next.

I sometimes let myself get focused on getting the end figure to match when methodically working through the steps will get it done faster.

FWIW

Comment

I am Still Thinking

Hello,

Thanks for the input.

I guess I didn't know what I was asking - I am just wondering, on the P & L, those expenses that do not required disbursement of cash, i.e., expenses that posted to liability or equity, should I deduct them. I guess I just have to go one by one - if they were paid by the due date of the tax return or incurred during the course of business.

Thanks again,

Maria

Comment

Working...
        X