premarital prep credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

premarital prep credit?

I'm not making this up! In the TaxBook SC-2 there is a "Premarital preparation credit!"
    "Effective May 31, 2006, a man and a woman who successfully complete a qualifying premarital preparation course, apply within 12 months for a South Carolina marriage license and obtain the license may claim a credit on T32 of $50 combined or $25 each."

If the course is worth anything, it would talk them out of getting married... then, do they still get the credit???

I thought this was pretty unique. Are there many states offering this kind of credit?

"I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Why would the worth be to not marry? Going on 35 years of wedded bliss myself and don't see a problem with couples discussing things "premarital" with someone.

Our state doesn't have this credit, does SC give same-sex couples the credit too?
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Are you limited to only one engagement, course and credit per year.....Could be a money maker!
      Last edited by jimmcg; 08-09-2007, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Is it retroactive?

If it is retroactive, would they accept an amended 1970 return?

The $50 isn't much, but 37 years of accrued interest should amount to enough to make it worthwhile for me to amend.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Credi on state return?

Is this a credit on their state return? Or does the state just send them a check?

Maybe people should get married in South Carolina and get $50.

In March, my husband and I will have been married for 40 years. Have 2 children and 2 grandchildren I adore. Never got rich but never starved either. Have wonderful friends we have had for 40 plus years. We have had good times and bad times like most people. You just don't concentrate on the bad times and remember the good times. There is a good sense of security in knowing that your mate is there through everything and when the chips are down, they are their by your side and will stay there.

Some premarital counseling is a good thing. It should instill in the couples the idea of marriage being a permanent commitment and working through your difficulties.

Linda F

Comment

I had premarital counseling, but it did not hit on the hot topics like substance abuse. I'm separated after 28 years, 17 good ones, so I'm somewhat jaded.

The comments are great! "Retroactive to 1970, interest accrued!"
            "Limited to one engagement? Could be a moneymaker!" It is a tax credit, so no check goes in the mail, but I agree it could be a moneymaker!

"Same sex marriage?" It does specifically say man and woman. That's my SC! (I'm from Charleston originally.)

So happy to hear of the "success" stories in marriage! Gives me a reason to believe...

btw, My mother in Kerrville, TX found her true love at the age of 76. When she told me she was in love, I said "Really Mom? Where'd you find him, in the handicapped parking lot?" Oh how we laugh at it all! She and Pop are still honeymooning at the age of 81!

Gotta love it!

~donna aka possi
            "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Original Question

The subject matter draws lots of comments, but did any of us answer your original question?

I can't answer because I don't know. Maybe some of our board members from SC can address this.

My guess is that if this course is sponsored by the state, the credit is a way of subsidizing the course. If so, it would appear the credit would be available to anyone who took the course.

Comment

Here's the Info

This is a link to the form.
                It's self-explanatory - all the requirements & conditions are listed at the bottom.

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I think it's a great idea

More states need to do this. I think "Realistic Expectations of Life, Marriage, and Parenting" should be a required high school course and requirement to get a marriage license.

Back in the good old days when you could leave your doors unlocked and drugs were not a part of every day life for more people and kids than we care to count .......learning about marriage and the cost of living was taught on Grandma's back porch. (Of course all of us were not blessed with living grandparents - so we relied on a freind's grandma and grandpa)

Nothing prepares a married couple for the 1st 40 years. I'll let you know in November if that 40 years is a real benchmark of knowledge. I learn somethng new every week - but I did stop throwing things many years ago. Just kidding. The Lord had a plan and it worked.... not always perfectly - that's part of His plan.

Jeannie

Comment

just commenting

I wasn't really looking for an answer... just wondering if anyone from the other states have a similar tax credit.
                    While we're at it, any other quirky state credits or laws? (I think it's quirky, anyway...)

Comment

Not a bad idea maybe,

but..... If the credit is taken on a return and the marriage doesn't work out, is
                      it necessary to repay the credit on a pro rata basis? (grin)
                      (remember the investment tax credit?)
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

That reminds me

when my wife an I were to get married nearly 18 years ago I found out how expensive Oregon's license was. They had battered wives fees and everything else tacked on to it. I only wanted to get married not solve society's problems.

So we went across the river to Vancouver and got hitched.

Comment

I agree somewhat

Originally posted by JAinNC View Post
                          More states need to do this. I think "Realistic Expectations of Life, Marriage, and Parenting" should be a required high school course and requirement to get a marriage license.

Back in the good old days when you could leave your doors unlocked and drugs were not a part of every day life for more people and kids than we care to count .......learning about marriage and the cost of living was taught on Grandma's back porch. (Of course all of us were not blessed with living grandparents - so we relied on a freind's grandma and grandpa)

Nothing prepares a married couple for the 1st 40 years. I'll let you know in November if that 40 years is a real benchmark of knowledge. I learn somethng new every week - but I did stop throwing things many years ago. Just kidding. The Lord had a plan and it worked.... not always perfectly - that's part of His plan.

Jeannie
                          I agree it should taught in high school - but with no tax credit.

BTW, our 1st 40 years was last December and we looking forward to the next 40 years.

Comment

Working...
                          X