selling insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

selling insurance

Does anyone sell insurance as a supplement to tax preparation? If you do do you find it to be worthwhile? I live and work in CA so if anyone else in CA does this and have any guideance on where to start and what education is needed for this in CA it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Sea-Tax

sells life insurance/annuities. He is also an investment advisor. Have you considered getting a securities license?

Comment

Veritas

Veritas, I tried to get the attention of Sea-Tax on a thread below (See "Special Life Insurance"). I think you fool around with securities as well. Care to read it and give it a try?

Corduroy Frog

Comment

I'm not insurance licensed

so I'm not qualified to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
          Does anyone sell insurance as a supplement to tax preparation? If you do do you find it to be worthwhile? I live and work in CA so if anyone else in CA does this and have any guideance on where to start and what education is needed for this in CA it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Superman,
          I am insurance licensed for life, disability, long term care insurance. This license also allows me to sell variable and fixed annuities. I also have a securities license. And both integrate well into my practice. I would not try to do auto and property casualty. Just to hard to compete with the big stores, state farm, Allstate, etc.
          I must admit that my insurance license I do not use as much as I could, I usually focus on securities, but occasionally will find a client that needs a term policy or a variable annuity or LTC insurance.
          My advice is if you are in the tax business is to contact HD Vest and they will help you form there. They specialize in accountants and tax preparers, and therefore don't bother you much during tax season.
          Remember building a financial planning and insurance practice will take some time just like when you start a tax biz. But after a couple of years you will start to see an income stream that can help you get through the off season. Good Luck.

Comment

I am also life, health and securities licensed

I got my licenses a few years because I began to see a consolidation beginning to take place in the market and wanted to be ahead of the curve. Many tax pros are asked questions regarding retirement, investments and asset protection and give good advice, but then the income stream ends. At that point you end up sending your client to Edward Jones, Northwest Mutual or a similar company to implement your plan. I found out how much money was walking out my door, determined what it would take to get licensed and set forth the actions to do so.

As Sea-Tax said, it takes a little while to convert your client base, but once you do it begins to snowball, and the income stream does help to get through the off season. As far as HD Vest is concerned, I can't comment. I use a regional broker dealer because I feel that they provide great service to me and my client's, and I can call the CEO or pop my head in his office anytime I want.

Good luck!

Comment

sea-tax

Thanks for the advice on HD Vest. As for the insurance did you get set up with different companies or are you exclusive to one? Thanks for all of the information.

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
                Thanks for the advice on HD Vest. As for the insurance did you get set up with different companies or are you exclusive to one? Thanks for all of the information.
                I am appointed with Hartford, Lincoln Benefit, John Hancock, Met Life , American Skandia and I am sure a few others I can't think of right now. My feeling in this business is it is never wise to be tied down to one company. You want to be able to provide your clients choices so that they can compare and contrast different insurance products.
                Most companies do not charge anything to be appointed, if they do it is usually very little like less than $50. Some do require you to have a set dollar amount of book with them but usually they will wave that for a couple years. Good luck

Comment

If you are interested

if you sign up with HD Vest before the end of the month they will pay the costs to get your securities license.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                    if you sign up with HD Vest before the end of the month they will pay the costs to get your securities license.
                    Plus if you tell them that Veritas sent you he will get a free travel chair. Whoopeee!

Comment

The only travel seat

I want is the one that fits on my Harley.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                        I want is the one that fits on my Harley.
                        HAHAHAHAHAHA that was good

Comment

Working...
                        X