Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I'm going to do about it.

Originally posted by sea-tax View Post
    Hey BB I agree whole heartedly. So what do you suggest...I have not had a vacation is years...
    Nothing, I guess.

Somebody posted a proverb here a while back saying "It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness" (something like that). Well, I've lit several candles over the years by writing to elected representatives, but my letters haven't exactly prompted them to set the woods on fire with political action.

I always get back the same standard reply: "Thank you for writing to Senator So-And-So about the Such-And-Such affair. We appreciate your input on this timely subject and you may rest assured that the senator will give serious consideration to your concerns when this issue is brought before the Senate." Not that I blame them or anything -- what else could they say to the surely thousands of letter-writers except a noncommittal "Thanks"?

And...everything stays the same.

I think maybe I will go on a vacation -- somewhere west, maybe the Grand Canyon or something. That should help the senator (one less shrill voice screaming at him/her).

Far from the ignoble strife of the madding crowd -- Gray: Elegy in a Country Churchyard.

Comment

Corduroy Frog Proverb

Bart - here's one for anyone involved in grass roots write-in campaigns to their Senators or Representatives to bring about sweeping changes:

"The more things change, the more things stay the same." -- Corduroy Frog

Comment

I've sometimes thought that all EROs should paper file everything for one tax season, let the IRS explain to Congress why efiling dropped 80% and maybe someone will decide that tax professionals ARE important to the success of their e-flinging agenda and give us some respect.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Black Bart

While I agree with your post, and you will seldom find me defending the IRS, I am afraid that I will have to semi do so here. I signed up for a mailing list from the IRS and this notification was sent to me from this list. That, however, does not help people not receiving emails.

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

FROM BB:

<<<Here's another absurdity (this was included in my 8453 letter). "If a signed 8453 is not available, submit a completed form 8453 without a taxpayer's signature and attach Form 8879 signed by the taxpayer. In other words; if I had lost the original 8453 and couldn't find the taxpayer to get another one signed; well then -- no problem. Just send in an 8879 that he/she has signed.>>>>

Why in the world would the IRS think any of us would have a signed 8879 if an 8453 was used....and e-filed........DUUUUU

Got the same letter BB,,,,over the years 13,000 e-file,,,,ONE missing 8453,,,,POOOFF,
            I'm outa business. NA they wouldn't do that.....would they!!!!!?????

Lets see, I have that guy's signature around here somewhere,,,,,on the proper form of course.
            Confucius say:
            He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Okay, Thom

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
              While I agree with your post, and you will seldom find me defending the IRS, I am afraid that I will have to semi do so here. I signed up for a mailing list from the IRS and this notification was sent to me from this list. That, however, does not help people not receiving emails.

LT
              Thanks for posting. I didn't know about the emails and it waters down my rant, although I still think a paper letter was due and ten days is ridiculously short considering the months of processing time they allow themselves.

But the rest of my complaint remains intact. There's a blunt, menacing "shape up or ship out" tone in a notice beginning "SEND US X WITHIN TEN DAYS" and ending "MAY BE SUSPENDED." Delinquent taxpayers get harsh letters after two prior notices -- ours start that way (where's the "kinder, gentler IRS"?). It's not like it's intolerable or anything (if I was really thin-skinned, I'd have to put up an office sign saying "Thank you for not being unpleasant"), but it still strikes me as a simple lack of respect -- like an impertinent child calling you by your first name.

The IRS attitude of "Hey practitioners; we're letting you till this plot -- do it just so or hit the bricks," is not unreasonable, but a civil tone and competent oversight would be appreciated. Before 1990 they were drowning in a sea of paper. We threw them a rope by cooperating fully in the gradual, but timely conversion to e-filing and their Holy Grail of 70% participation is in sight. E-file's been good for us and maybe more for them -- their employees are such that they need 1040-V forms to process a check; mine don't. We've earned money and they've saved it, but basically, I'd just like to not be talked down to and/or have my feeding hand bitten.

Here's a dream scenario for me. Commissioner Everson sends a letter (certified) to "all the king's men." It goes like this: "All IRS employees are to be given an evaluation test within ten days. Employees determined to be lax, negligent, inefficient, or incompetent may be sanctioned, suspended, or terminated."

The downside is that a 50% layoff at IRS offices nationwide would probably bankrupt the states' unemployment funds.

P.S. Thanks much to RLymanC for bringing that IRS requirement to our attention. Also, my apologies for running away with your thread.
              Last edited by Black Bart; 08-04-2007, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Don't have to worry about that anymore ...

"If a signed 8453 is not available ... "

Starting next season all e-files will be requied to use PINs and 8879s if the PIN is not self-selected and self-entered. The (new) form 8453 will be used only as a cover letter for sending in paper attachments and apparently will not be signed.

Comment

Don, I remember reading that, but can't find it now. However, there is a draft 8453 for 2007 dated 5/22/07 that is still the old way. I sure hope that is a mistake. Hate 8453's and only use when absolutely necessary for certain death situations and having to supply needed documentation. Had them request one 5 different times one year when it had a 15 page POA. They keep saying it was never received. Well it was never returned in the mail either.
                  Last edited by ecb34691; 08-04-2007, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ecb34691 View Post
                    Well it was never returned in the mail either.
                    Hey - it takes a lot of material to fill a black hole.:-) And the IRS seems to have a large number of black holes for things to disappear into.

One year I had a client that had filed electronically. They called her and told her the return was incorrect, they would be reviewing it and that her refund was being held until it was straightened out. Each week she would call and they were working on it. After about six weeks she called and was told "We do not find where you ever filed a return for last year".
                    Fortunately, being electronic filed we could provide an acknowledgement number and date.

We got the taxpayer advocate office involved. After the explanation, which she did not believe, she said "Are you trying to tell me that you filed electronically and that we lost it" Yes Maam. She said to hold on but did not push the hold button. She asked another lady if she had ever heard of this and the reply was "Oh yeah. Remember last year when they lost 40,000 when shipping tapes to Philadelphia." She came back to me with "We can screw up more stuff."

By the way - the return was correct and they put her on the next round of payments.
                    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Lacerte Bulletin, No Need To Register

Lacerte just sent out a bulletin on this. You do not need to register with IRS unless you own your own web sight.

Comment

Originally posted by John of PA View Post
                        Lacerte just sent out a bulletin on this. You do not need to register with IRS unless you own your own web sight.
                        John, that sounds a little simplistic. There is more to this than that, I believe. Hopfully there will be more coming out in the near future. To be safe I sent in my info anyway.
                        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Here it is from Lacerte

Dear Lacerte Customer:

As you may know, the Internal Revenue Service sent out a communication regarding new e-file rules for registration of Web sites and Uniform Resource Locators (URLs) that are used to obtain taxpayer information.

For details, please go to http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=172577,00.html on the IRS Web site.

At this time, many Lacerte customers have inquired with the IRS about whether they need to register if they use tax software to prepare and e-file returns.

The IRS has asked us to advise our Lacerte users that you do not need to register Web sites you do not own, such as electronic filing that you do through the Lacerte Electronic Filing Center or e-Organizers that you do with your Lacerte software. Additionally, Lacerte is in the process of evaluating its obligations to register the URLs for Web sites Intuit owns that the public has access to.

To find answers to more frequently asked questions about this rule, please go to http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=172650,00.html on the IRS Web site.

Lacerte is dedicated to providing you with information to meet your filing needs.

Sincerely,
                          Lacerte Customer Service and Support

Comment

Deadline Extended to Sept. 10

The deadline was just extended to Sept. 10, 2007. Per IRS Efile-Quick Alert dated 8-8-07.
                            Again, this only applies if you have a websight.

Comment

Registration

To be on the extra safe side, I emailed the contact that IRS provided, so I now have a response, which basically states everything that has been posted. I have the emailed archived for future reference.

If you do not own a Website or are not operating a website, then you do not need to register.

It is nice that they extended the date for registering.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                              X