LLC taxed as S corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LLC taxed as S corp

When an LLC elects to be taxed as an S corp, does that mean they have to issue shares of stock, keep minutes of meetings, elect a board of directors, etc. and essentially conduct business as a C corp that elects S corp status? Thanks.

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
    When an LLC elects to be taxed as an S corp, does that mean they have to issue shares of stock, keep minutes of meetings, elect a board of directors, etc. and essentially conduct business as a C corp that elects S corp status? Thanks.

No stock issued. Remember, this is still an LLC. It is ONLY taxed as if it were an S-corp.
    I don't know about your other questions.
    Dave, EA

Comment

Chart of accounts

David,
      I guess my confusion is which coa to use. If taxed as an S corp, then the coa is required for the 1120S which includes capital stock whereas a single member llc is a schedule C. withdrawals are charged to owner's draw account but if taxed as an S corp, are they charged to shareholder loan, dividend, salary??? Thanks.

Comment

It's still an LLC

Originally posted by Greenbriar View Post
        David,
        I guess my confusion is which coa to use. If taxed as an S corp, then the coa is required for the 1120S which includes capital stock whereas a single member llc is a schedule C. withdrawals are charged to owner's draw account but if taxed as an S corp, are they charged to shareholder loan, dividend, salary??? Thanks.
        you just get the attributes of S corp taxation

Draws would be dividends, but you must also have the member take a salary to satisfy IRS requirements (although the amount of salary to be taken would start a huge argument on this board).

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
          you just get the attributes of S corp taxation

Draws would be dividends, but you must also have the member take a salary to satisfy IRS requirements (although the amount of salary to be taken would start a huge argument on this board).
          Disagree, Draws are not Dividends from a S-Corp. They are distributions up to the total basis for the S/H-Member. After that, draws are taxed as capital gains.

That's my understanding.
          You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Well Duh!

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
            Disagree, Draws are not Dividends from a S-Corp. They are distributions up to the total basis for the S/H-Member. After that, draws are taxed as capital gains.

That's my understanding.
            I didn't think I needed to put that in there, but I forgot that we sometimes are talking to people who see tax preparation as a hobby instead of a profession.

So yes, draws in excess of basis would be capital gains to the shareholders. But they would still be dividends on the books, unless you want to create a seperate account called "Draws that are really dividends but get taxed as capital gains". Somehow I don't think that will fit on the balance sheet though.

Comment

Are you referring to me?

" didn't think I needed to put that in there, but I forgot that we sometimes are talking to people who see tax preparation as a hobby instead of a profession."
              You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Working...
              X