Amended Return for MFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amended Return for MFS

Have not run into this before. Client got married late last year, and they filed MFS as they thought that was better for their tax situation. Not so.

Am I correct then that BOTH need to file an amended return to change it to MFJ for federal and state?

Do not know the specific rules of your state. In Ohio and most contigous states as well as Federal you may amend going from MFS to MFJ.

Comment

Mfs

With reference to Federal tax returns, only one TP needs to amend: just let them decide which TP's name/SSN will appear first; the account of the 'non-amending' spouse will be 'zeroed out', and all applicable credits amoved to the primary spouse.

Comment

One amendment as MFJ

Take the one that will appear as primary taxpayer (often the husband, definitely the one in your computer if only one was your client, toss a coin, etc.) and use them as column A from their original MFS return. Add the other spouse in column B. MFJ return is column C. Both social security numbers will now appear on one amended return, and you'll explain that they're going from MFS to MFJ.... Your software method may vary. If NEITHER is in my system, I like to get the MFJ return done the way it should be, use that for column C, then pick the primary for column A from his/her original MFS, and finally add the other spouse's MFS as column B, paying particular attention to amounts they paid in with/after filing original returns, refunds they received from originals, etc. Tell us what software you use, and other users will pipe up.

Comment

Don't forget that both must sign the 1040X. They then have joint and several liability for all amounts on the 1040X. As to software, I use Intuit ProSeries and the entry protocol pretty much follows what LION outlined.

Comment

Amended MFS to MFJ

Thank you all for your input. Amending one makes sense, and I don't think I would have thought about doing just one.

I do use ProSeries.

Comment

ProSeries

ProSeries is one of the software packages I'm evaluating. What are your experiences? What are its strengths and weaknesses? I'm looking for good diagnostics, easy kiddie tax, AMT, multiple states, going from partnership return to a partner's return, ability to handle complex returns, but easy data entry if I hire an assistant. I can wish, can't I?!

Comment

Working...
              X