Offsetting gailns and losses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offsetting gailns and losses?

My client bought a business and had an immediate offer from someone who wants to buy it from my client at $ 300000 more than he paid.

My client has stocks on which he would lose $ 200,000 as a long-term capital loss if he sold them.

If the gains and losses were offset as capital losses he would have a net $ 100000 short term gain taxable at ordinary income.

My question is: would the sale of the business qualify as a capital gain or would it be a sale of business property reportable on Form 4797?

If it were reported on Form 4797 it looks he would have a $300000 taxable gain with only a $ 3000 capital loss on the stock. Is this right?

Since he only bought and sold the business and never operated it, would it be proper to call it 'non-business' investment property and classify it as a capital gain rather than a gain to be reported on Form 4797?

Just the facts maam

What kind of entity was the business and what exactly did he buy?

Comment

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
      What kind of entity was the business and what exactly did he buy?
      A car wash.

Comment

Did he buy stock or did he buy the assets of the business? If he bought stock, then he would have a short-term gain on the sale of that stock. If he bought the assets of the business and then sold those assets, he would have ordinary gain on Form 4797.

Maribeth

Comment

Working...
        X