Postal Carrier Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postal Carrier Mileage

Can anyone tell me for Sub Contracted Postal people, can they take mileage from their home to the post office to pick up the mail and deliver it to their customers, take all the mileage out?

For example:

Mileage from home to post office is 82 miles round trip, his delivery route his 32.1 miles. Can he take 113.2 x 6 days a week, x 51 weeks a year (there are 6 days in the year he doesn't deliver mail).

My thought and knowledge is he can only take his route miles. Last year his preparer took the full mileage out from home to post office, plus delivery route. He uses his own vehicle, which I know I can put this on, and spent $9,340.66 in gas alone last year.

Thanks for the help....

Postal Carrier Mileage

Originally posted by Absolut View Post
    Can anyone tell me for Sub Contracted Postal people, can they take mileage from their home to the post office to pick up the mail and deliver it to their customers, take all the mileage out?

For example:

Mileage from home to post office is 82 miles round trip, his delivery route his 32.1 miles. Can he take 113.2 x 6 days a week, x 51 weeks a year (there are 6 days in the year he doesn't deliver mail).

My thought and knowledge is he can only take his route miles. Last year his preparer took the full mileage out from home to post office, plus delivery route. He uses his own vehicle, which I know I can put this on, and spent $9,340.66 in gas alone last year.

Thanks for the help....
    No commuting miles.

Is he paid as contract on a 1099 or with a W-2? My understanding is that postal carriers are paid mileage PLUS their compensation. At least the ones that I know around here in the sticks.
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
      No commuting miles.

Is he paid as contract on a 1099 or with a W-2? My understanding is that postal carriers are paid mileage PLUS their compensation. At least the ones that I know around here in the sticks.
      He is given a 1099 at the end of the year, and said he's not paid mileage. It doesn't state it on the 1099, and he has all his gas receipts, repair receipts, etc, so he's ok on actuals.

Comment

Postal Mileage

I'm sure that if he is self emplyed and receives a 1099 he would have a qualified office in home, he has no ther place to preform administrative or management duties. All the mileage would be deductable.
        Confucius say:
        He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Carrier Mileage

Originally posted by RLymanC View Post
          I'm sure that if he is self emplyed and receives a 1099 he would have a qualified office in home, he has no ther place to preform administrative or management duties. All the mileage would be deductable.

If there is a qualified office in the home, then the commuting would be allowed. However, I would really question the amount of administrative duties that would be needed to dedicate a specific area in the home to be able to handle them!

The reason that I questioned if this was a 1099 or W-2 is that all our rural carriers get W-2's and are reimbursed for their mileage under an accountable plan.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

According to TTB - 10-6

Qualified reimbursements received by rural mail cariers are treated as paid under an accountable plan and should not be included as income. If actual vehicle expenses are more than the reimbursement, the difference is deductible as an itemized deduction subject to the 2% AGI limitation.

Mike

Comment

MaMalody

Would TTB 10-6 apply even if the carrier is self employed? Receiving a 1099? I would assume that this pertains to employees, receiving W-2s, only.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird Legs View Post
                Would TTB 10-6 apply even if the carrier is self employed? Receiving a 1099? I would assume that this pertains to employees, receiving W-2s, only.
                Well, it is hard to say. I would simply ask my client for their hiring paperwork. That will contain the info you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                X