Partnership Termination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partnership Termination

Hoped to find some info in TTB but info didn't cover my questions. As you can tell, I never dealt with this before and I am a little nervous.

2 partners (A & B), 45/55, cash basis, A left all of a sudden. Some legal actions very likely. B/S shows equity of $8,000 for A, 2007 P&L shows $15,000 loss. $40,000 Income from one project done by both still outstanding.

1. $8,000 due to A

2. $6,750 loss attributed to A

3. $18,000 due to A

4. A also gets 45% of cash left plus 45% of FMV of equipment. They don't have any debts.

5. On form 1065, short year, date of A's leaving, report $15,000 loss.

6. Sales agreement or whatever will happen will include $18,000 for A.

Do I have this right, so far?

What would happen if B decides to go with another partner instead of being a Schedule C? There are some weeks between A's leaving an admitting a new partner. Still termination of partnership and then new partnership?

I appreciate any advise. Sorry it's so long.

Gabriele

Split it up

Gabriele, I can perhaps address some of this, but not the whole thing.

Maybe split this into three questions?

If it helps any, I think you're doing most of this right. One thing missing which will ultimately need to be disclosed is the partners' capital accounts going into the period.

Comment

Thanks, Frog for your response. The capital accounts are part of the equity accounts.

I had hoped to get some more responses since I can not find much info anywhere else. Maybe someone can point me in a direction (other than google and IRS website, which I have tried) where I can find more info?

Comment

Gabriele

Yes, sometimes our questions don't get a lot of response. Referring to my post above, I think it is because you tried to pack too much in one question. The situation as you presented it was very much like the mythological Hydra - a beast with many heads.

That's why our television is filled nowadays with politicians reducing their long speeches on complicated issues to 15-second "soundbytes." It will only get worse until Nov '08. Does the German public have to put up this?
        Last edited by Corduroy Frog; 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I heard you, Frog. Unfortunately I am not able to break up my long post, it's one situation, and, I also believe questions out of context are more likely to produce even more confusing responses or responses which are not helpful.

I will put up another post though in regards to research.

Comment

45%

45% of partnership leaving does not automatically dissolve partnership. However, having only one member would default to Schedule C. Husband taking me to movie, so not going any farther into this now!

Comment

Working...
            X