software survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

software survey

Has anyone seen NATP's software survey yet? I have only used ATX, and the discount runs out end of June. How will if fare with new owners? I purchased it first because the price fit my budget. Now what I think I need is over $1000, but purchasing the items separately like I did this year would cost even more. Especially since efiling is a per return charge. Any help or comments?

Check around

You may want to look at other vendors. I don't what kind of returns you do or how complex there are but there are a lot of other companies that may fill the bill. I used ATX a few years back mostly for price, I have been using Proseries the past 4 or 5 years and the cost has actually gone down the past couple years. If I may say it would have been a good idea to start this search a month ago most companies discount allowance will run out soon. I hope this helps I'm sure others will chime in.

Comment

Tax software

Almost any software which includes unlimited efiling, plus 1041, 1065 and 1120 and state returns will cost $1000 or more.

If you don't e-file, there are less costly programs, but may not include all state returns, 941s, 1099s, etc.

Comment

I'm efiling more and more and this year, I have been receiving letters from IRS and state because amounts or boxes have not been keyed in correctly. My clients get nervous and I'm iritated because it takes several weeks to pull up a return to prove our return was correct. I do 3 or 4 states, depending on the year, w-2's, 1099's, 1040, just a few 1065, 1120, and some 1041's. If I get a sample of another software, how much space does it take in my computer. Is it worth a couple hundred dollars to spend several hours learning a new software? Is proseries better that ATX. What are the pros and cons?

Comment

$750

Originally posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
          Almost any software which includes unlimited efiling, plus 1041, 1065 and 1120 and state returns will cost $1000 or more.

If you don't e-file, there are less costly programs, but may not include all state returns, 941s, 1099s, etc.
          The cost of TaxSlayer Pro is $750 for 1040,1041,1065,1120,1120S,All States, and no charge for e-filing,

Comment

JenMO

Jen, from the workload you described, TaxSlayer Pro would work unless your corporations are multi-state. And it's $750, all inclusive.

Also, the comprehensive Drake package is only $995 and they haven't raised their price in years and years. My computer didn't run well when I tried Drake, but lots of people have had no problems whatsoever with Drake. Drake used to be the "Cadillac" in the early days of tax software, but other products have inflated their prices such that most of them now are more expensive.

Problem is, these price offers are for early committments. TaxSlayer expired on May 1, and I don't know about Drake -- but if they haven't shut down their discount, they will soon.

I might can get you the lower price for TaxSlayer if I sponsor you as a new customer. Three years ago, a friend sponsored me and had the discount extended for me. I don't know whether this can still be done or not, but I am willing to try. If you are interested in TaxSlayer, please send me a private message with your name.
            Last edited by Corduroy Frog; 06-16-2007, 12:48 AM.

Comment

jenmo

i think atx max before 7/1 is $1065 less 10%. it includes all the things you want.

Comment

Software

In looking at cost you need to look at end cost for you. Some vendors charge shipping and other fees to their quoted cost. Be careful that you get the total cost for being a client. If the software company is located or has a location within your state you also pay the sales tax. For new customers a company will often extend the early price.

Comment

Sales Tax

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                  In looking at cost you need to look at end cost for you. Some vendors charge shipping and other fees to their quoted cost. Be careful that you get the total cost for being a client. If the software company is located or has a location within your state you also pay the sales tax. For new customers a company will often extend the early price.
                  Sales tax is a moot point. Either you pay it to the vendor when you purchase it, or you pay the use tax directly to your state.

Bill

Comment

Sales & Use Tax

Originally posted by Bill Tubbs View Post
                    Sales tax is a moot point. Either you pay it to the vendor when you purchase it, or you pay the use tax directly to your state.

Bill
                    I wonder how many of us pay the use tax to our respective states when we purchase something from out-of-state?

I do.
                    Jiggers, EA

Comment

This was the first year we ever received a form from the state asking us for a list of items purchased that would be subject to Use Tax. Things must be getting tight )

Comment

Working...
                      X