Hand Scanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hand Scanners

I went to a user seminar for Ultra Tax programs and they informed me that K-1's will have 2d bar code on them and that Ultra Tax has the ability to scan these bar codes right into schedule "E". I thought this was a great addition to the program.

Then I thought "what about W-2s"? If all W-2s were bar coded it would solve one of the biggest problems preparing electronically filed returns, entering w-2 info. 2 years ago I had one client come in that was a union worker who had 80 W-2s, what a project to get his returned elf-d.

Maybe someone from IRS is on this board and can followup with this issue. W-2s are the one big problem with elf and maybe one of the reject areas. I know that entering W-2s requires extra diligence from several points of view and means extra time when entering from them. Scanning would save preparer time and add to a more accurate return.

I don't know the technical issues of creating a bar code but it can't be that much of a problem. I'm sure it would be usefull to SSA. The same would be helpful to IRS with 1099s.
    Last edited by BOB W; 12-15-2005, 08:26 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Barcodes

Anxious to see how well it will work with K-1s. W-2s are next, but I have a hard time believing the scanning can be done off of even copies??? Of course I did not believe buggy whips would not be good christmas gifts either.

Comment

Working...
    X