Scanner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner

I start a new thread since the "paperless office" got out of hand. Thanks, Jainen, for your response. I use ProSeries, which has PDF capabilities since years.

I don't like the idea of a multitask machine and really would like to have some input on an excellent scanner.

Proseries has a survey

>>an excellent scanner<<

Proseries has a survey out about that topic.
    Whether you choose cloud-based, hosted, or desktop, our professional tax software is designed for tax and accounting firms of all sizes. Optional integrations make it easy to streamline tasks across your entire workflow. Nice.

I use the Fujitsu fi-5120c that Intuit sells for $870. Pricey, but fast, clean, and never jams.

Comment

I use the scansnap version. It is about $400 dollars cheaper. I've found that it gets paper jams if you are scanning documents of different size at the same time. That is the only downside so far.

Comment

I too use the scan snap by fujitsu. I love it. If you load the largest size document first, then you should have no problems scanning the material. Been doing it for 2 years now.
        Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriele View Post
          I don't like the idea of a multitask machine and really would like to have some input on an excellent scanner.
          If you only use it as a scanner, why does it bother you that it has other capabilities? I know what you mean, but the last time I went shopping for one, I found that a document feeder for a scanner added $400 to the price, but the multifunction machines came with document feeders as standard equipment at a total cost of less than $300.

I think they do this for the same reason that #9 envelopes cost three times as much as #10 envelopes, even though they're smaller.

Comment

Visioneer 9650

I have used this litlle machine for the last two years with little problem.

Whichever you buy, make sure it is 'Twain' compliant (the reason escapes me at the moment).

Have you given some thought to the software you'll use to run it? I just love PaperPort. Lots of features and a good price.

For example, I was able to save my client a ton of grief because of the functionality in PaperPort. See, they had an employee who ran off with the only word copy of a 500 page manual. I was able to help them by scanning in their paper copy and then converting it to word. they still had edits to make (OCR isn't 'perfect' technology) but it didn't take them nearly as long to re-create their manual as it would have to re-type it all by hand.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

East is east, west is west . .

Originally posted by TaxBird View Post
              Whichever you buy, make sure it is 'Twain' compliant (the reason escapes me at the moment). Have you given some thought to the software you'll use to run it? I just love PaperPort. Lots of features and a good price.
              And ever the twain should be compliant? $500 seems pricy for the amount of use it would get. (I can always fax something to myself and then save the eFax image as a pdf.)

PaperPort brings back memories of a computer I bought, back in the early days, which had a scanner built into the keyboard. I didn't ask for it, it just came that way. It used PaperPort. Unfortunately, it died when a staple got caught in it.

Comment

Thanks, George and TaxBird.

I haven't thought about software yet. Somehow I always forget software when I think about hardware.

The reasons for wanting a scanner only are twofold: 1. A single use machine offers usually a better quality, hence, of course, is also more expensive. 2. If one part of a multitask machine breaks down you are out of all of them.

Comment

I take it you're not buying an iPhone

If one part of a multitask machine breaks down you are out of all of them.
                  But if all you use your multitask machine for is one task -- scanning -- what difference does it make if it won't copy, print or send faxes? And the specs on them for scanning, match the specs for the more expensive monotask machines. The industry thinks we're stupid, and often it is right.

Comment

Thanks, George and TaxBird.

I haven't thought about software yet. Somehow I always forget software when I think about hardware.

The reasons for wanting a scanner only are twofold: 1. A single use machine offers usually a better quality, hence, of course, is also more expensive. 2. If one part of a multitask machine breaks down you are out of all of them.
                    I ran across that problem already, stay away from the 3 in 1's. In my case the printer portion jamed/locked and the rest became useless.................
                    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Scanners

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
                      If you only use it as a scanner, why does it bother you that it has other capabilities? I know what you mean, but the last time I went shopping for one, I found that a document feeder for a scanner added $400 to the price, but the multifunction machines came with document feeders as standard equipment at a total cost of less than $300.

I think they do this for the same reason that #9 envelopes cost three times as much as #10 envelopes, even though they're smaller.
                      It's important to have a scanner that has sheet feed AND flat bed scanning capability. Too many docs won't feed in a vertical sheet feed. I've never seen a multi-capable unit that has flat bed scanning ability. We use a Xerox and tissue-thin papers, and wrinkled/folded papers can be placed on the flat panel and not be chewed up by trying to get them thru the page feeder.
                      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Scan Snap

I have a Scan Snap also. It's a very good machine for the price, but isn't twain compliant. I use Drake tax software, and their Document Manager only supports twain scanners. As such, I have to scan the documents then copy them to their document manager. It's a little cumbersome extra step.

Comment

Working...
                        X