Looking for extra income?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for extra income?

Looking for a way to earn big money now that April 15 has passed? Become a Postal Consultant! Help your clients figure postage, just as you have helped them figure income tax.

First you will need to buy a precision postal scale, a tape measure and a calipers. The new First Class rates effective this coming Monday include a special category for letters weighing 3.5 ounces or less. Yes, that’s right – not 3 ounces, not 4 ounces, but 3.5 ounces. Office supply stores have stocked up on digital scales, but the drug dealers keep shoplifting them. Get yours now, and then rent it out!

But wait, there’s more! Are you sure it’s a letter?

• Letters cannot exceed 6 1/8 x 11 ½ inches
    • Letters cannot exceed ¼ inch thickness

Your clients need your help to determine whether they measure up. What is the only thing worse than an IRS auditor showing up at your door? That’s right – a postal inspector!

If it’s not a letter, it might be a flat. Special new rates apply to flats. When your clients think of flats, they probably picture deflated tires. Help them comply –

• Flats cannot exceed 12 x 15 inches
    • Flats cannot exceed ¾ inch
    • Flats cannot be rigid
    • Flats must be uniformly thick

When any of the above are exceeded, then what you have is not a flat, but a parcel. The postage will increase .72 cents for the first ounce to $1.13. Remember, as well, that dimensional pricing applies to parcels exceeding one cubic foot and sent to zones 5-8. You can follow the rules, because you’re good with numbers ... but your clients will need your help. Sign up now!

Ah!!! Postage Rates developes by the IRS!

Are we going to be able to get CPE in learning these new postage rates and applications?
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Ah!!! Postage Rates developed by the IRS!

Are we going to be able to get CPE in learning these new postage rates and applications?
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

CPE Right Here

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post

Yes. Send cash, check or money order for $25, and you will receive a monochromatic certificate, suitable for framing, acknowledging that you are a Certified Postal Expert.

Comment

I had rather sit on my but then again I guess its honest work.

Comment

a great new stamp

There's a great new stamp called the "Forever Stamp." The way it works is that you pay for it now and it never loses its value as long as you don't ever use it.
            Last edited by jainen; 05-11-2007, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Forever stamp

Originally posted by jainen View Post
              There's a great new stamp called the "Forever Stamp." The way it works is that you pay for it now and it never loses it's value as long as you don't ever use it.
              Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the "Forever" stamp just before the next postal increase and not now?
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

There's no question that

the postal service has a large number of executive types with way too much time on their hands. Someone actually got paid huge bucks to come up with this Rube Goldberg pricing scheme, and they're probably in line for big bonuses after May 14. Meanwhile, the most relevant change they could make would be to redesign their logo and remove the word "service" from their agency name entirely.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Postal "Service", Ha Ha!

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  the postal service has a large number of executive types with way too much time on their hands. Someone actually got paid huge bucks to come up with this Rube Goldberg pricing scheme, and they're probably in line for big bonuses after May 14. Meanwhile, the most relevant change they could make would be to redesign their logo and remove the word "service" from their agency name entirely.
                  You are correct about the service, or lack of.

I dread going to the post office to have a package weighed:
                  One clerk on duty
                  4 customers in line
                  1. Wants to see the new postage stamps, he is a collector
                  2. She wants to pick up her boyfriend's mail from his box, he is in jail and she
                  needs her welfare check.
                  3. Old lady needs one stamp. 39¢ stamp. Looking through purse for correct
                  change.
                  4. He needs 3 money orders.

SCREAM
                  Just as I get to the window, a second clerk comes on duty to assist with the crowd.
                  No one in line behind me!!!!!!!!

SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                    In Or & CA it should qualify for CPAs.

Comment

They last forever, but we don't have them ...

I was at the post office yesterday. The clerk explained the forever stamp to the lady in front of me, and apologetically said they didn't have any. They did have a bunch of 37's left over from the previous rate, and with a pair of twos ...

Comment

Letters, Flats and Parcels

Don't overlook the BPM (Bound Printed Matter) rates or the Special 4th Class rates if your'e are mailing books. Much cheaper than Parcels.
                        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Here's a prediction

concerning the "forever" stamp. It won't be much of a hit until just before the next price increase. Then the Post Office will conveniently run "out of stock" early on and no rain checks will be allowed. Following that, the class action lawsuits will hit, and the "forever" stamp will eventually become a memory (silly idea that it is anyhow). Too bad these people don't have a shred of business sense, but when you're running a quasi-government agency you don't really need to understand anything about the free market.
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Was there yesterday...

I finally figured out how the "Forever stamp" works, just like the dollar is always worth a "dollar", the Forever stamp will always mail a first class letter, but as was pointed out in George's post, the size of the letter it can mail will continue to shrink! In time several will be needed to mail a standard size letter envelope.
                            The dollar is always a dollar, but the amount it can purchase continues to shrink over time.

By the way, can anyone tell me how much it costs to non-profit bulk mail post cards? That seemed to stump the two folks working the USPS counter when I was there yesterday. (the bulk mail person and the postmaster were both gone) I can't find it on the PS 3602 form, but then again maybe it's one of those "flat" things...

Rocky
                            I fought the lawn and the lawn won.

Comment

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
                              Looking for a way to earn big money now that April 15 has passed? Become a Postal Consultant! Help your clients figure postage, just as you have helped them figure income tax.!
                              George a lot of people won't pay a professional to figure it out now that Intuit is about to release "TURBO STAMP", but of course there will be those self stampers that screw it up and will need a pro to straighten it out.(be sure to collect your fee up front)!

Dan
                              Last edited by cpadan; 05-11-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X