Tax Researchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Researchers

Do any of you know the difference between the Kleinrock Master Tax Guide and the CCH Master Tax Guide and are there any other Master Tax Guides out there? Furthermore what is the difference between either of those and the CCH Federal Tax Guide?

I used CCH for years, but the last 4 or 5 years I have used RIA Handbook that seems to have a few more and clearer examples than CCH.

Comment

Kleinrock was bought out by CCH last year. The Kleinrock Total Tax Guide is now the CCH U.S. Master Tax Guide "Kleinrock Ediciton".

Yes, there are other Master Tax Guides out there. I also use CCH U.S. Master Depreciation Guide. You can call CCH or look on their website to find out the difference between their products.

Comment

I'm with Old Jack when he says RIA has better explanations. I subscibed to RIA for several years, but as cost rose I had to find something more affordable. RIA's loss.
        Dave, EA

Comment

That's very interesting

because I find the RIA Federal tax handbook (always has a bluish grey cover and maybe 500 pages, right?) to be very hard to look things up in. Once I find what I am looking for, it's always clear, but I am really looking for something that will be easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
            because I find the RIA Federal tax handbook (always has a bluish grey cover and maybe 500 pages, right?) to be very hard to look things up in. Once I find what I am looking for, it's always clear, but I am really looking for something that will be easy to use.
            Well... my 2007 RIA Federal Tax Handbook is 2-tone green, soft cover about 1½ inches thick, and has over 850 pages plus 75 pages of double column index. If you can't find a subject with 75 * 2 pages of index containing about 120 entries per page, I don't know what would help. The book is published by http://ria.thomson.com/estore/detail...TE=taxresearch and is about the same price as the other such books.
            Last edited by OldJack; 05-08-2007, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I seem to be losing my memory

Thank you Jack, I followed your link and I recognized the book as the one I have used some years including this year and not others. I just bought the Master Tax Guide new on Amazon for $43 including expedited delivery. I will be interested in seeing which I prefer.

My feelings about the RIA Handbook are complicated. I have mentioned that I have trouble finding things in it. I don't know why, but I have a problem with the indexes of books. I much prefer a detailed table of contents. I have a problem thinking of one word or two words to describe my question. The other thing I don't like about the RIA Handbook is that is not formatted in a way conducive to long reads. For example, no one is going to just sit down one pleasant afternoon under a tree and read the chapter on S Corporations. On the other hand, when I find in RIA the paragraph that answers my question I have a succinct and clear answer that was written by an expert in that aspect of tax law.

Comment

Working...
              X