Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am amazed - cubed

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
    I am amazed that someone doesn't realize IRS and the Justice Department prosecute less than 1/10 of 1% of potential tax-fraud cases. That's why there are civil penalties that don't require a grand jury indictment and a unanimous jury conviction.

It's like thinking that the government has the resources to prosecute more than a handful of immigration cases.
    that is why Don King, the boxing promoter, proclaims from the mountaintop -"only in America - the greatest country in the world!"

Comment

In my town too.

"Here, try these two first" he says, handing over a small stack of SS cards ...

Q: What year was your daughter born in?
      A: I don't know.
      Q: How old is she?
      A: I think she's either three or eight.
      Q: And she does live with you?
      A: Yeah. We all live together.
      Q: Does she go to school?
      A: I'll have to ask her momma.

Q: How many children do you have?
      A: I only got two cards with me, but I can get more if I need them.
      Last edited by DonPriebe; 05-05-2007, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Oic

I agree that the IRS Collection folks are more interested in getting at least some money; however, I believe the original IRS error ocurred during the second audit: at that point, the examining officer could have asserted the so-called 'two-year ban' on EIC, on the basis of repeated, fraudulent claims. No EIC for the next two years, no way, no how.

Comment

Shooting in the Dark

Until you know her income and allowable living expenses, there is no way to know what the correct approach is. The first step is to submit a 433-F financial statement and then the IRS will determine what if any monthly payments she can make. If her expenses exceed her income, then she will be designated as Presently Uncollectible (Code 53).
          However, this is reviewed every six months to see if there is any income change. The monthly payment figure can be used as the basis for an OIC.

The statute of limitations runs for ten years after the most recent assessment, so she has at least 8 possibly 9 years to go. If she is able to pay about $85/mo, it is doubtful any OIC would be accepted.

Clients such as her, rarely make good candidates for an OIC. They are rarely ever able to document their expenses, which is even more difficult if she has no checking account, as you surmise. An OIC requires documentation of income and expenses for three consecutive months. And even if their offer is accepted, they generally default in a short time and the full amount owed is reinstated.

If a payment plan is defaulted it can be easily reinstated, for a small fee.

Good Luck!

Comment

Oic

If this person is intelligent enough to commit two apparent cases of fraud she should
            be intellegent enough to handle her own problem with the IRS. Why help her avoid
            a well earned penalty?

Comment

Working...
            X