Tax Slayer Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Slayer Pro

I just renewed with Tax Slayer and thought I would take a look at this web site. Just read all the threads about other software with not much mention of Tax Slayer so thought I'd put a plug in for them. This was my first season working on my own. Previous experience was 14 years using Jackson Hewitt software. I purchased Tax Slayer because of a recommendation from someone who had used it several years. Price was a big factor especially being my first year in business for myself. I paid $750 last summer and just renewed for $750. Supposedly that price is only good until May 1st this year. I have no complaints with the program. It did everything I needed it to do and more.
    For the same price, I received the 1040, all states ( I just downloaded as needed, probably did 6-7 different states), all business packages 1120, 1165 etc, Non profits 990 and free efile. My acceptances came back from IRS super fast with Tax Slayer. I did offer Bank Products thro Bank One (although I only did 3) But that worked very well and super fast also. I really appreciated the feature that direct filled info on city and state by just entering a ZIP code and also direct fill of any previously used EIN number. This was huge time savers. Learning a new program after 14 years is always a little difficult, but this one was easy to catch on to. I only needed to call support a couple times but when I did they answered within 5 seconds. Awesome support. I have no complaints at all. After reading about all these other software companies and some of the complaints, I can't imagine why more people don't give Tax Slayer a try. I can't imagine any other software being a better value. This is about the cheapest I've seen and a complete package. Check it out.

Bonnie

Value is Key

Bonnie you said it right - there may be no better value.

I have been candid with readers about TaxSlayer - there are big holes when you do some of the more complicated states, especially in the "entities" package. All said, I only do about three returns annually (multi-state earners and corporations) where the software cannot handle the requirements. I don't think paying double what TaxSlayer charges just so those returns print out picture-perfect is worth the money.

And the technical support is unheard of. Not just for tax software, but for ANY software. People there to help on the first ring. I kid you not. And not just programmers -- real tax people who can speak your language.

Comment

Does this software have any tax organizer with it that is downloadable or printable?

Mike

Comment

You're timing is good

With the frustrations I've had over the past two years with Drake I've thought about checking into other software. Taxslayer might be a consideration, I talked to them and they don't have a web forum for users. Did you encounter many glitches in the program during the tax season? How quick were they to fix them and/or notify users that there is a problem? Was the software operational by the e-file start date for states as well as federal? I dowloaded the demo and will see how it looks, price is nice but it's gotta handle the tax stuff right!

Well I go the the Taxslayer website and find that there is a web forum for users, guess their phone people aren't always up on what is available. Hmmm,
        Last edited by taxmandan; 04-30-2007, 01:30 PM.
        "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

since 2000

I have used Taxslayer Pro since 2000. I have been very satisfied with their program. I find it very user friendly and I agree about the support.

I too read all the posts and threads about other programs and sometimes wonder... but if its not broke don't fix it. Right? So I am content to stay with what works for me.

I agree that others should try it

Linda F

Comment

Originally posted by taxmandan View Post
            With the frustrations I've had over the past two years with Drake I've thought about checking into other software. Taxslayer might be a consideration, I talked to them and they don't have a web forum for users. Did you encounter many glitches in the program during the tax season? How quick were they to fix them and/or notify users that there is a problem? Was the software operational by the e-file start date for states as well as federal? I dowloaded the demo and will see how it looks, price is nice but it's gotta handle the tax stuff right!

Well I go the the Taxslayer website and find that there is a web forum for users, guess their phone people aren't always up on what is available. Hmmm,
            Yes they do have a forum but it is not widely used like this one is. I check the Tax Slayer site occassionally but prefer Tax Book's forum as there is much more input. I did not find any glitches and was not notified of any. Yes software was operational before the efile start date for most states. I can't say for all as I did not have occasion to do any other than Kentucky the first week. I believe I did 2 or 3 other states the second week. With Tax Slayer you can also efile state only returns. Not that I have need of that often, but I did efile a couple state only returns. I only downloaded the states as I needed them so can't speak about all of the state programs. I believe the states were available as soon as the states released them. Not all states release their programs by the time the IRS starts to efile.

Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
              Yes they do have a forum but it is not widely used like this one is. I check the Tax Slayer site occassionally but prefer Tax Book's forum as there is much more input. I did not find any glitches and was not notified of any. Yes software was operational before the efile start date for most states. I can't say for all as I did not have occasion to do any other than Kentucky the first week. I believe I did 2 or 3 other states the second week. With Tax Slayer you can also efile state only returns. Not that I have need of that often, but I did efile a couple state only returns. I only downloaded the states as I needed them so can't speak about all of the state programs. I believe the states were available as soon as the states released them. Not all states release their programs by the time the IRS starts to efile.

Bonnie
              Thanks for the info, I'll be trying out their demo and give it some serious consideration. If only we could be sure they won't sell out to Intuit or MS in the next ten years.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I believe that

they also operate several tax offices. That would seem to make them less likely targets for buyout than other companies.

The software has limitations however. Read other threads on it or try it out extensively. I remember one fan of this software conceded that sometimes information from a Federal Business Return does not flow to a state Business Return, especially if the State in question is not Georgia or one of the surrounding states.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                  they also operate several tax offices. That would seem to make them less likely targets for buyout than other companies.

The software has limitations however. Read other threads on it or try it out extensively. I remember one fan of this software conceded that sometimes information from a Federal Business Return does not flow to a state Business Return, especially if the State in question is not Georgia or one of the surrounding states.
                  I had no problem with it flowing to Kentucky on the business return. I can't speak for any other states about this issue as the only business returns I did were with a Kentucky state.

Bonnie

Comment

Working...
                  X