1099-a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-a

I have the same situation as - http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/printthread.php?t=190
    I've been doing much reading but need help - I'm in need of someone spelling it out.

So, if a client has a 1099A for foreclosure on his home in 2002 (doing old return) and as yet no 1099C then I do not need to do anything? (He was personally responsible for repayment of debt, the box was marked yes.)

e.g. FMV was $100,000, balance of principal was S200,000, original price for the home was $300,000. Can I put sale price at $100,000 (difference of principal and FMV since FMV was lower) and the cost at $300,000 and mark personal loss? Or does the original price tag not enter into the question.

A related question: Do you think they never sent a 1099C was because bank sold it for $50,000 more than the principal owed a couple of years later? (It appears the FMV on the 1099A was incorrect or values went way up in a couple of years.)
    JG

My guess

is the lender sold the house for enough so a 1099C was not issued. I would do nothing with the 1099A. There might be a loss but it is not deductible because the house is not an investment or business property - at least I assume so.

Comment

Working...
    X