Calling all EAs out there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all EAs out there!

I want to get my EA license this fall...what worked for you to help you pass?

Which online programs out there worked the best AND for the best value?

Gordy from Albuquerque

for Gordy

Gordy, what worked best for me was simply to take the previous years' exams. I believe the exams for the last five years are maintained under the IRS practitioners' link on their website. Questions and Answers.

Each time I missed a question, I researched the "why" and subject material.

If you're looking for best value, you can't beat it -- it's free.

Regards, Ron J.

Comment

Thanks

for the info Snaggletooth. I'm planning on taking the EA exam as well.

Comment

Try the Arthur books. www.eareview.com I used this several years ago, studied on and off through the summer and it worked. I passed all four parts. I also took the previous years exams several times. IRS also recycles many exam questions from year to year (or they used to).

Comment

This question was asked by railtax on 03/16/2007. You can go to this thread and see the answers of several.

I also used the Arthur EA course.

LT
          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Here's another option

Thomas tax seminars at 800.638.3783

brian
            Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Those that took it this fall, how long did it take you on each part? I read on Promtric site up to 3-4 hours. Just wondering because I am going to get a friend to go with me and they will have to wait on me.

I guess I am going to buy Gliem's EA course. Cost around $650. That is not a problem as long as it really does help me. I am going to give them a call next week with some questions.

Comment

I found the HRB Course very helpful

but I am under the impression that due to the numerically and percentage wise numbers of people who passed it with me in 1997, the IRS has begun to change things more from year to year. I was persuaded to take the HRB course by an acquaintance who took it despite not working for the company.

I don't know whether the IRS site updates answers to current law the way the HRB text did and the actual exam will. But to me it was worth paying someone else to do that so that I could research only those questions where I did not know the answer.

Comment

Same here

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                  Gordy, what worked best for me was simply to take the previous years' exams. I believe the exams for the last five years are maintained under the IRS practitioners' link on their website. Questions and Answers.

Each time I missed a question, I researched the "why" and subject material.

If you're looking for best value, you can't beat it -- it's free.

Regards, Ron J.
                  I just went through the previous year exams, found out why the one's I got wrong were wrong, and passed all but one section in the first sitting. Passed that section in 10/06 and just got my enrollment.

Good luck!

Comment

I just read on the NATP website they are offering a 3 day course geared for those wishing to take the EA exam.
                    Dave, EA

Comment

That worked for me as well

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
                      I just went through the previous year exams, found out why the one's I got wrong were wrong, and passed all but one section in the first sitting. Passed that section in 10/06 and just got my enrollment.

Good luck!
                      That, and reading through some of the pubs. Took the exam in Fall of 2004 and passed all sections on first try (although a couple just by the skin of my teeth).

Bill

Comment

I went ahead and took the jump to purchase the Gleim Pubs. $653 with shipping and tax. I hope this works for me. I found a test site a little closer to me also. Little nervous

Comment

Take Tests

I agree with Snag. Take the past tests, and then take them again a week or two later.

Gary

Comment

Took two tax courses at the local community college using the CCH Federal Income Tax Coursebook. Took intro to tax the previous quarter (too easy) using a really simple book. Another college had a series of courses online specifically to pass the licensing exam.

Used the Wiseguides.com review book (not all that great). It was convenient to only bring one book to the test site to review during breaks and if you finished a section early. And it did not cost much more than the CCH coursebook.

Passed the first time though one section was by the skin of my teeth. Even the corrected answers didn't help me on that section.

This was the written exam in 2005. They allot a very generous amount of time to read, compute, and answer the questions. Doubt I spent even half the time alloted going through the sections. Either I knew the answer or I didn't so spending more time on it wouldn't help.

I never looked at the past exams and answers except cursorily. Didn't have time. It was a last minute decision to apply to take it (posted on the last day allowed) and an even later decision that maybe a study guide would be a good idea.

Good luck. Do whatever works for you to learn. Everybody is different.

Comment

One important factor is one's experience

When I began to prepare for the exam, I had never previously studied any of the topics covered except taxation of Individuals. I couldn't have told anyone the difference between a partnership and a corporation and had never heard of subchapters c and s relative to corporations. I knew nothing of IRS policies and procedures. I had never dealt with how much one could contribute to a pension plan other than an IRA. Some of those who took the exam with me had been doing returns for all entities longer than I had been doing them for Individuals. On the other hand I talked to one fellow who had never done an individual return but had prepared all of the other sorts of returns and assisted in audit defense of most of them. Many of the people I sat with knew from work how to calculate a partner's basis as well as I knew the standard deduction and personal exemption amounts. It does seem fairly obvious that the more you know about the relevant issues when you begin to prepare for the exam, the easier time of it you will have. I was only a part time preparer but I took four months off from my regular job to dedicate myself to preparing for the exam. That wasn't actually a decision I made, however. Two months of my off time were built in to the nature of that job and two months were due to a hurricane that deprived my town of electricity. It was kind of the employer to keep paying us and but for that kindness I would not have enjoyed the time so much.
                              Last edited by erchess; 04-28-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X